Valued Contributor

Re: Will you admit to this? Losing your car in a parking lot before?

oh yes , I take a picture if it’s a crowded lot . I feel so stupid walking around the lot ,pretending I know exactly where my car is located ! Don’t think I fool any onlookers ! My poor ice cream !

Respected Contributor

Many times.

Even at work.  I always carpooled with my husband but one day I drove. Usually when you drive to work you have the usual spot you typically park, so for the life of me I could not remember where I left it.  So there I was after work going up and down each row trying to find my car.  I just imagined all the people in the building looking out the windows and watching the poor person searching for the thing.

Esteemed Contributor

Over 40 years ago before we were married DH & I spent a day in Great Adventure in New Jersey. We got there when it opened so the parking lot was wide open. At the end of the day it was dark & the parking lot was packed. We couldn't find DH's car. After 2 hours of walking around aimlessly we went to the security office. After providing them with the color,make,model & plate # they drove us right up to the car.

Regular Contributor

Many years ago I was with my Mother, husband and my two small children ages 7 and 5 at Disney World in Florida.  You can imagine just how big this parking lot is.  Each lane of parking is named after a Disney character such as Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, etc.  It was very late, Disney had closed and it was raining harder than I had ever seen. There was a long tram that would take everyone thru the parking lot and as everyone departed we sat there trying to remember our character lane...you would think 3 adults could remember...nope. That tram was empty except for us and that driver took around twice.  We finally got off and started to walk getting soaking wet and we couldn't help laughing.  It took about 20 minutes if not longer to find our car. Now we had to travel more than 3 hours to where my parents lived.  We were soaking wet so the windows in the car got fogged up...sitting in soaking wet clothes was just awful.  We have never forgot this adventure, LOL.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh my goodnessI yes, so much so that nowSmiley Happy every place I go there are certain places I always park.  This way I don't have to think abou it.  Doing this has made my parking issue a non issue lol 

Honored Contributor

This happens to me a lot. I have to stop and stand there for a moment before I leave the car. Check which door I'm going in. What sign is nearby. Estimate approximately how many cars from the front I am. And if it's at all complicated, I just type a note to myself in my phone.

The most confused I've gotten was one time at a very large mall. I went into the mall through a department store door and I noted the sign and holiday display near the door so I could remember my way back.

Well the department store had two different locations on opposite sides of the mall. After a lot of shopping I wound up in the other location of the store and forgot it was the one that did not have my car outside. I was ready to leave and I saw the same sign (almost the same) and display (exactly the same) by the door. Well I walked around the lot for a very very very long time on the wrong side of the mall looking for my car.

Finally I decided I needed a break and something to drink. And when I went back into the main part of the mall, that's when the penny dropped and I realized I might have been in the wrong side of the mall. After a coffee and a moment off my feet, I found the correct exit door and my car like magic.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Yes, a few years ago. I had a doctor appointment in a large medical complex attached to a huge multi-story parking garage. I had been there before. Each floor wound around, down and up, 2-way traffic, and it was a very confusing layout. I walked into the garage  -- thankfully, I was on the right level -- but couldn't find my car. After about 15 minutes I decided I needed help so I picked up the security phone located near the elevator and explained my problem to the officer. He arrived and drove me through the garage until we found my car. I apologized profusely but he said it happens all the time and was glad to help.

There was another occasion where I opened a vehicle and got inside, only to realize it wasn't my car. The key worked in the door! I quickly got out and found MY car a few rows away. Made me a bit nervous about my own car after that...

Valued Contributor

My husband and I were fairly newly married, and he almost always drove his truck when we went out together. We went to the mall on Black Friday and I drove because my car was smaller and easier to park. We came out of the store, spent a half hour or longer looking for his quite distinctive truck, nothing. We were convinced it had been stolen, then I just started laughing until I was crying, and him looking at me like I'd lost my mind. I was laughing so hard I couldn't speak, but managed to point across the aisle to my car. We must have walked past it a half dozen times. He burst out laughing. People must have thought we were crazy as we had to hold each other up to get to the car, laughing the whole way.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that happened to me. Was I running late or something? I just didn't pay attention to which floor of the parking garage I was on!

Respected Contributor

I feel silly to admit it, but I've "lost" my car in a parking lot too.