Respected Contributor

Will and Kate arrive at the Taj Mahal

Touching story can be read by googling.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Will and Kate arrive at the Taj Mahal

I love that she wore a $7 pair of earrings to the TM that she'd purchased at a souvenir stand a day or so before. I like them, too!

Interesting article for other reasons too.  Kate and Williams wanted to make their on memories of the TM; it's not something Wm. remembers much about his mom's trip there - the article says he has more signficant memories about her than the TM visit:

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_21000752,00.html

Respected Contributor

In March, a palace spokesman addressed William’s appreciation for the connection between India and his mother. 

William is “of course aware of the huge esteem his mother, the late Princess of Wales, is held in India and he appreciates the iconic status of the images that exist of the Princess at the Taj,” the spokesman said.

Adding that William and Kate were “looking forward to creating some new memories,” the spokesman said, “He feels incredibly lucky to visit a place where his mother’s memory is kept alive by so many who travel there.”

Of course, there is a key difference between Diana’s visit and her son and daughter-in-law’s. “William will remember, and I’m sure, understand, how difficult it must have been for his mother,” her former bodyguard Ken Wharfe, who was present during Diana’s stop at the Taj, tells PEOPLE.

Wharfe, whose book Closely Guarded Secret chronicled his work with Diana, recalls her famous words at the photo call. “When Diana sat on that bench, she was asked, ‘What does it feel like?’ She turned to me and said, 'What shall I say, Ken?’ So I just said quickly, 'Just say it is healing experience.’”

Despite the unhappy headlines, a then-9-year-old William may have been told that the place was remarkable and that she enjoyed visiting.

“She confided in William a lot at that age,” says Wharfe. “She will have said, 'This is an amazing place – one day I hope you do this, William. It is one of the seven wonders of the world and I was fortunate enough to go there.’ She was never negative about her husband in his company, she never criticized her husband in his company. She certainly would have said all the positive things about somewhere they had been.”

The spectacular historical site served as the last major stop for the royal couple before they head home to reunite with their massively missed children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte. Kate is bringing home at least one special souvenir: a necklace given to her by Queen Jetsun, which she paired with an Alexander McQueen upon leaving Bhutan Saturday morning.

Governor of Paro Chenko Tshering and education minister Norbu Wangchuk, who had greeted the couple when they arrived in Bhutan two days ago, were there to see them off from the country that prides itself on being the happiest in the world.

“I think our happiness index has shot up – this visit has been a blessing for Bhutan,” said Wangchuck. “It is wonderful they got to meet our King and Queen and the new prince."

Tshering, who was with the couple at the Tiger's Nest monastery on Friday, added, “They loved the walk and were very fit. William got to see a yak which he said was a first. "They’re a marvelous couple and it’s been an honor to receive them. The relationship between our King and Queen and the British people is a good one.”

Honored Contributor

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit the Taj Mahal

Honored Contributor

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, India

Super Contributor

Oh my gosh, I love all these pictures. Thank you all for posting them. I just can't get enough of the Royal Family. I remember watching Charles and Diana's wedding, so very early in the morning, off for school for the summer, in bed with my mom. Loved every minute. Gasping when Diana got out of the carriage in that dress! So blown away! Then years later, another early morning for William and Kate's joyful wedding! This time by myself. 

The stark comparison between those TM pictures also blows me away. If I had one tiny wish, I wish that William and Kate could have maybe just held or touched hands. 💞

Respected Contributor

They are such a good looking, happy couple.

Honored Contributor

narendra.jpg (640×360)

Honored Contributor

@missy1

This was discussed on the news.  Apparently the Prime Minister has a vice grip.  He squeezes the heck out of everyone when he shakes hands.

Respected Contributor

Oh my