Respected Contributor

Will & Kate at Holocaust Commemorative Ceremony

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the UK Holocaust Memorial Day Commemorative Ceremony in Westminster on Monday. This year's service marked the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkeanu and honoured survivors of the Holocaust, Nazi persecution and genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur.

Prince William and Kate joined a number of the UK's faith, political and civic leaders at the ceremony, which is run by the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, of which the Prince of Wales is patron.

The Duke will gave a reading during the service and the couple met survivors of the Holocaust and recent genocides.

kate-arrival

Image result for will and kate at holocaust service

Respected Contributor

Re: Will & Kate at Holocaust Commemorative Ceremony

The Duke and Duchess spoke with Olivia Marks-Woldman, CEO Holocaust Memorial Day Trust and Sir Ben Helfgott, honorary president and Holocaust survivor, upon arrival.

william-kate-uk-holocaust-service

Esteemed Contributor

@lmt  They are dressed appropriately for this event.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Prince William gave a reading that honored his great-grandmother Princess Alice's efforts in helping a Jewish family during the Holocaust.

Respected Contributor

@lmt wrote:

Prince William gave a reading that honored his great-grandmother Princess Alice's efforts in helping a Jewish family during the Holocaust.

Prince Charles just visited her grave on the Mt of Olives.

Respected Contributor

Kate appeared emotional as William read: “When the persecution of the Jews by the Germans began, Princess Alice asked to be informed about the fate of the Cohen family. Having been informed by friends and by her lady in waiting about the plight of Mrs Cohen and her young daughter, the Princess decided to offer her hospitality to the two ladies; in fact to hide them in her home despite the danger this entailed.

“The Princess put a small two-room apartment on the third floor at the disposal of Mrs. Cohen and her daughter. It was thanks to the courageous rescue of Princess Alice that the members of the Cohen family were saved.

“The members of the Cohen family left the residence three weeks after liberation, aware that by virtue of the Princess's generosity and bravery had spared them from the Nazis.

“The great-granddaughter of Rachel Cohen, Evy Cohen, said this two years ago: ‘My family would not exist without the courageous act of Princess Alice. Her story of incredible courage must keep being told in her memory. My generation, the past generation and the future generation are, and will eternally be, grateful to his great-grandmother Princess Alice for the great act of bravery, risking her own life to take in a family in need.’”

Respected Contributor

The royal couple lit candles in memory of those killed, which were used to share lights until 75 candles were burning, to mark the 75 years since Auschwitz was liberated.

William joined his wife in lighting one of the candles at the commemorative service to mark the liberation of Auschwitz today

Kate lights a candle in memory of those killed in genocides and will then meet survivors following the ceremony at Central Hall in Westminster

Respected Contributor

Kate laughs with Holocaust survivor Yvonne Bernstein after the service marking the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

Kate laughs with Holocaust survivor Yvonne Bernstein after the service marking the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt 

Thanks for posting these lovely photos of a beautiful young couple!  I always enjoy seeing them.

Maybe the Duchess got a good night's sleep...she looks a little fresher than previous photos.  Of course, you never know how the photograph is going to make you look, but in these, her face appears more relaxed.  It's all guesswork, but I think you know what I mean Cat Happy

Love her dress and hair (how does she navigate those cobblestone walks with those sky-high heels?!

What an interesting story about their family.

How exhausting it must be to have to be "on" so often.  I know it is their job, but some days, I don't want to get dressed to go out the door Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

A wonderful, heart felt commemoration.

RIP 

As a very insignificant side note, I like Kate's dress choice.  Also, how appropriate and nicely chic to see dark nylon hosiery.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).