Contributor

Re: Will You Share a Movie You’ve Watched That Made a Big Impact on Your Life?

One of the most heartwarming movies that I've ever seen is "Lion" starring Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman.  It's based on a true story.  No movie has ever made me cry so hard!  I saw "Lion" with a girlfriend, and we had to sit in the theatre for quite some time after the credits rolled to pull ourselves together!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, love some of the old black and white movies too.  Great stories.  I do like it when there's a line in a film, that sort of rings my bell and makes a lot of sense.

But as opposed to what you're asking, I think I'd say,  Joan Crawford, Bette Davis,  and others in that group.  You can't go wrong with those two for starters.  Think of the men back then, Allen Ladd, oh so many.  

You can google stars of the 50's, 40's, whatever year appeals to you. 

But not so much learned something and went on, but mine are more from the heart...if it's heartwarming, just love those.  Tug at the old heart strings.  Those speak to me.  Guess that's why Steel Magnolias is probably a favorite of mine. Love that music too.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved all Hitchcock movies as they had it all, scenery, suspense, music, classically beautiful women & handsome men. But, Psycho really scared me & I looked in showers of hotels for a long time

Silence of the Lamb - pure evil without guts & gore

The early Disney films: Fantasia, Bambi & Lady & The Tramp. When Bambi’s mother died I cried & cried

The Godfather (original)

On The Waterfront
Long Days Journey Into Night
Shawshank Redemption
Philadelphia
Dragonwyck
A Christmas Carol - Alastir Sim version

Moonstruck
Fatso - very funny
Honored Contributor

As a child I loved Mary Poppins, I still to this day love the film, I wanted her to come and take care of me. Two films hold a place in my heart, my brother who I adored died way too young at the age of 58, I miss him terribly.  Anyway he loved the movie The Apartment, I have memories of watching it with him. I recently moved and got rid of a lot of DVDs but I couldn't part with The Apartment I felt like that would be throwing away the memory. The other movie was one I saw in the movies with my brother, Field Of Dreams, we both loved the film. When I think of the film I wonder what if you could see your loved one who passed again and got to spend time with them?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
  1. I think A Tree Grows in Brooklyn  (original) is my very favorite movie and rarely hear it mentioned by anyone. Not sure it ever got the attention it deserved. My other favorites include The Grapes of Wrath (original) The Fisher King, Cheaper by the Dozen (original), Best Years of our Lives,  Little Women ( original) and Good Morning, Miss Dove.  It is hard to explain in words how my favorites have actually changed my life. Such a shame so many great movies were re-made decades later. The originals were good enough to stand without changing them. More of the remakes are worth anything imho.
Trusted Contributor

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel, Rebecca, Bridget Jones Diary

Honored Contributor

Old Yeller.  I was a little bitty girl when mama took my brother & me to see it & I'll never, ever forget it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

Bridesmaids!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rereading some more of these, I realize the Disney shows, and Lassie shows meant a lot to me.  Usually animal movies.  Like Old Yeller, that one ripped my heart strings.  

A Judd Hirsch movie (Taken, or Lost, something like that)  about a little boy who was kidnapped.  At the end, Hirsch and his son, in the movie, rescued the little boy.  It was a tearjerker!!!  I watch it whenever I might catch it.  I'll see if I can find the name of it and put it in here.  WITHOUT A TRACE. That's the name of it.  Really good!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

Rereading some more of these, I realize the Disney shows, and Lassie shows meant a lot to me.  Usually animal movies.  Like Old Yeller, that one ripped my heart strings.  

A Judd Hirsch movie (Taken, or Lost, something like that)  about a little boy who was kidnapped.  At the end, Hirsch and his son, in the movie, rescued the little boy.  It was a tearjerker!!!  I watch it whenever I might catch it.  I'll see if I can find the name of it and put it in here.  WITHOUT A TRACE. That's the name of it.  Really good!!

@qualitygal bringing up Judge Hirsch's name reminded me of a Taxi episode that has stayed with me for years. Alex had this very old dog that Louie thought should be put to sleep (ever the heart of gold). Alex wouldn't hear of it, the dog had a trick where Alex narrated and pointed his finger like a gun and the dog would play dead. Louie thought for sure the dog was too old to do the trick, but he did, Alex later came back to the garage without the dog, he had put him to sleep. I still can see Alex with the leash, him sitting down and crying as I am remembering the show.