Contributor

Will You Share a Movie You’ve Watched That Made a Big Impact on Your Life?

I love movies, especially classic black and white classics. There are many that have changed the way I see the world, taught me lessons about life, or have inspired me to be a better person. I was wondering if you would share your favorite movies and how the movie itself, or perhaps a character may have changed or influenced you long after the final credits have rolled.

A few of my favorites:
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1941 version) - The kind schoolteacher emanated such kindness and compassion to the poverty-stricken Francie. And the movie taught me to have compassion for those in need and to persevere even when things in our lives may appear to be dismal.

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? - Showed me the long lasting, positive impact people can make in each others’ lives just by being kind and patient and positive.

Terms of Endearment- The scene where Jack Nicholson shows up unexpectedly at the hotel to support Aurora m, whose daughter was dying of cancer touches me every time I watch it. It showed me the importance of dropping everything and running to be there when someone we know is suffering and feeling very alone.

Ordinary People- Judd Hirsch and Elizabeth McGovern’s characters demonstrate how kindness and understanding can change the trajectory of someone’s life.

Of course It’s A Wonderful Life’s closing scene brings me to tears every time I watch it. It reminds me that material possessions are meaningless in the scheme of life and the only thing that matters in the end is kindness.

Will you share your favorite movies and the lessons you’ve learned from them?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Will You Share a Movie You’ve Watched That Made a Big Impact on Your Life?

[ Edited ]

@Luv2Watch @Wonderful post! I love MOVIES! Some of my favorites that I'll always watch are Best Years of Our Lives; Fighting Sullivans; Marty; Mary Poppins; Philadelphia; Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants; Mama Mia!; Now, Voyager; A Fish Called Wanda; Wizard of Oz; My Fair Lady; Little Women; Harvey. And more.  Crazy all over the place diverse but I love them all and they put me in certain moods or take me out of certain moods or just plain feed my soul.

eta I forgot to say that I also love every one of your choices. 

Valued Contributor

I also love everyone of your choices. My favorite movies are the old movies on TCM or whatever channel they happen to be playing on. There is so many that I like. I could name some but it would take all night. Lol
Trusted Contributor

And Dark Victory! (How could I forget)

Respected Contributor

A very thought provoking and excellent question.

I will always remember Lilles of the Field for the gentle generosity shown by a man who stops to help a desperate group of nuns make some badly needed repairs and who ends up building them a chapel. Despite differences in languages and faith, the message is that kindness transcends all differences. That was the first time I saw Sidney Poitier who cemented a place in my heart as one of my favorite actors.

Sense and Sensibility highlighted the heartbreak and glory of love of which there are many kinds. Keeping faith and promises were central themes, and the performances, especially Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman were marvelous.

Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightley version) proved that first impressions are sometimes superficial and there is more beneath the surface that meets the eye. It also showed that there is a real promise of true love.

There are others but these are my favorites.  

Respected Contributor

@Luv2Watch wrote:
I love movies, especially classic black and white classics. There are many that have changed the way I see the world, taught me lessons about life, or have inspired me to be a better person. I was wondering if you would share your favorite movies and how the movie itself, or perhaps a character may have changed or influenced you long after the final credits have rolled.

A few of my favorites:
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1941 version) - The kind schoolteacher emanated such kindness and compassion to the poverty-stricken Francie. And the movie taught me to have compassion for those in need and to persevere even when things in our lives may appear to be dismal.

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? - Showed me the long lasting, positive impact people can make in each others’ lives just by being kind and patient and positive.

Terms of Endearment- The scene where Jack Nicholson shows up unexpectedly at the hotel to support Aurora m, whose daughter was dying of cancer touches me every time I watch it. It showed me the importance of dropping everything and running to be there when someone we know is suffering and feeling very alone.

Ordinary People- Judd Hirsch and Elizabeth McGovern’s characters demonstrate how kindness and understanding can change the trajectory of someone’s life.

Of course It’s A Wonderful Life’s closing scene brings me to tears every time I watch it. It reminds me that material possessions are meaningless in the scheme of life and the only thing that matters in the end is kindness.

Will you share your favorite movies and the lessons you’ve learned from them?

@Luv2Watch   Nice choices for life lessons.

Two movies that I find gut wrenching and incredibly hard to watch are "Mississippi Burning" and "Schindler's List."

They both send the message that in very dark and ugly times, there are good people with strong convictions that will stand up, help and try to right a wrong.

Strive to be the person that shines light into darkness.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Valued Contributor

#1  A Patch Of Blue , with Sydney Poitier .

#2  Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner...again with Sydney Poitier .

#3  To Sir , With Love..Sydney Poitier

Ok , I guess any Sydney Poitier movie ! 

Honored Contributor

Maybe an odd choice but Purple Rain. The theme of that movie literally saved my life and I will be forever grateful for having seen it at the right time. 

Super Contributor

@Luv2Watch .....There are many, but ones that come to mind immediately are, Inherit the Wind, To kill a Mockingbird, Don't Look Up, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to name just a few. These few probably just reinforced my inherent beliefs.

Honored Contributor

Johnny Belinda (Jane Wyman version) MADE ME a speech therapist/teacher of the deaf.

The SCORE of the same movie let me continue to be a musician.