Respected Contributor

if there is no mass testing available.  I think I will wait a bit to see if the virus circles around again.  It has done that in other countries.

Respected Contributor

Re: Will You Leave Stay At Home

@KarenQVC wrote:

if there is no mass testing available.  I think I will wait a bit to see if the virus circles around again.  It has done that in other countries.

@KarenQVC I think many of us will continue to do social distancing and maybe even masks long after the restrictions are lifted.  Dr. Fauci has also said handshakes (and I'm assuming hugging) should be out for awhile.

Respected Contributor

Yes! I am so sick of being at home. I have masks and gloves and will gladly wear them. I want to be back at work. 

Esteemed Contributor

For the sake of my sanity I need to get out of the house!!

Respected Contributor

Most probably not.  At least not for a while. I would be worried about my husband for sure.  If you notice, they talk about having testing to identify clusters and then do contact tracing.    I don't think I want to take a chance of being one of those in the "cluster" and then possibly passing it on to my husband or someone else.  

We are both retired so it isn't like we need to go back to work.  Although I do have family I would love to see.  Just depends on the data in our area at the time I guess.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I am wondering when it will be okay to head back to my house in Washington, near the original outbreak in a nursing home.

I want the go-ahead from you, @pitdakota 🙂

Trusted Contributor

I agree, when we finally get the approval to go out and about again I am going to be very cautious about normal life again. It's going to take me a while to really feel safe again and I plan to continue being very careful. 

Respected Contributor

Until there is an effective vaccine, no one will really feel safe. Hopefully, it does not morph into something else making a vaccine ineffective.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I am wondering when it will be okay to head back to my house in Washington, near the original outbreak in a nursing home.

I want the go-ahead from you, @pitdakota 🙂

Hi @tansy!  Heck, I don't know that you want my go ahead.  I am not sure I will even know.  LOL!

Currently, you can track the cases in that county @tansy on the covid-19 tracker.  In all honesty, I would wait until the # of new cases really drops and the death rate signficantly drops as well.  When both are really down and stay down for a period of 5-6 days you may be able to take a deep sigh.

But I would still be watchful and careful.  If you can, limit going out in public.  Limit unknown contacts.  I know you would probably still need to go to doctor appointments, but I would still take hand sanitizer, wear a motorcycle helmet, don't touch anything....stand out in the hallway rather than sit next to someone in the waiting room............SEE?  You maybe don't want me advising you.  LOL!

Respected Contributor

And by the way @KarenQVC, for me,  I am not holding  my breath on the mass testing part.  They still at this point don't have enough tests now.  The testing has been a miserable failure.  And it was so very important.  But here we are........

They are working on serology to identify those with antibodies.  That might help some to identify those that are protected.  

The worrisome part is that if this goes according to past pandemics....there is almost always a second wave.  St. Louis in the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic demonstrated that you can flatten the curve, but then you spread your cases out and usually have a second wave.  And right now I just don't have confidence that they will have testing set up and ready to go to "catch" that second wave in some areas.  And my area could be one of those where the second wave occurs. Smiley Surprised

The virus doesn't go away, it still remains.  Just a question of catching it where it pops up again.  So yes, I just think I will be very cautious for some time to come.