Honored Contributor

Will You Be Wasting Away... in Margaritaville?

Jimmy Buffett-inspired Margaritaville retirement community coming soon

http://wtop.com/lifestyle/2017/03/jimmy-buffett-inspired-margaritaville-retirement-community-coming-...

(NEW YORK) — If you are looking for that lost shaker of salt, look no more.

A chain of Jimmy Buffett-inspired Margaritaville senior-living communities are coming soon, obviously aimed at active retirees who like “nibblin’ on sponge cake, watchin’ the sun bake.”

Buffett’s Margaritaville company, known for restaurants, hotels and vacation resorts, recently announced it has partnered with Minto Communities, a development and building company in Florida, to build a string of easy, breezy senior neighborhoods.

The first has been dubbed Latitude Margaritaville in Daytona Beach, Florida.

“It’s going to be a very fun place,” Bill Bullock, senior vice president of Minto Communities, told ABC News. “We expect our first residents to be living in the community by late summer of 2018.”

The $1 billion project is expected to create almost 7,000 homes offering fitness facilities, lap pools, spas, live entertainment, personal beachfront access and, of course, booze in the blender that will soon render that frozen concoction that helps residents hang on.

Bullock said the 2 or 3-bedroom homes, which feature a den and garages in the golf cart-friendly community, will start in “the very low $200,000s to $350,000.”

“It was very important to us to make this as obtainable as possible,” he said. “We have over 10,000 registrations in two weeks. It’s just been amazing.”

Residents in Latitude Margaritaville have to be aged “55 and better,” Bullock explained.

Seniors — get ready to throw your fins in the air and wave them to left like you just don’t care!

Honored Contributor

Re: Will You Be Wasting Away... in Margaritaville?

Do enjoy visiting family in Boco Ratan, Winter months. For now staying here. Who knows few years might change my mind.
Respected Contributor

Sounds like it could be fun, and the price point is fairly decent. Kinda gimmicky, but they have to do something to stand out from the thousands of other cookie cutter condos in cookie cutter plans ("senior" or otherwise) on man made lakes that are all over Florida. I doubt any of them will be direct ocean or gulf front though, so that'd probably make it a "no" for me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

NEVER confuse your life with a TeeVee show or a song.

Gimmicky is the right word.

Honored Contributor

Why not?  I see little appealing about most of those retirement places so far for the last of the Boomer people who are older.  Sounds a little more geared toward people who might like to do something at night rather than go to the early bird special and go home.  Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like.

I would think more restaurants and bars and places to go hear music at night. . . things like that.  I'm not imagining raging crowds of drunk elderly people--just a place to sit, have a beer and listen to music of the 60's and up.  Maybe go dance, work out etc.

Honored Contributor

No, but it is the ringtone on my cell phone!

Esteemed Contributor

I'd love it but not in Florida....Hawaii a definite yes, 

Esteemed Contributor

I wish the project success.  If it more are planned and built out West, I might consider finding a residence there. 

One consideration I have is.........I'm not so into partying and carrying on with drinks and all. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With some cheeseburgers in paradise, your attitude at that latitude will be chill.  ;-) 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

I can dig it!!!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~