Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'Will We Finally End the Silence Around Suicide?'

[ Edited ]

Many years ago, being a single mom with 3 young kids, I thought life was getting too tough for me to handle so I went to a Social Services, not because of suicidal thoughts, but just overload!!!!  The department was advertised on local TV as "help is yours if you need it."

When I went to see them, feeling like I was literally crawling as a human being, I was told that, "They could councel me for just $100 a month!  End of HELP!"  I sat in the car and cried until I thought I could drive home.

The next couple of days, I thought about that!

I called the head of the department and told them what had happened and explained how badly you feel reaching out for help and how REJECTION could have been my demise!  If I had an extra $100 a month, I wouldn't have half of my problems. I explained that I would survive but I was afraid for those in the same situation that might not!  

I called another source and found a wonderful councelor.  When I talked to her, she said the head of the other department had called her and she had intended to call me but I called first.

Now, imagine that happening to someone who is mentally standing on the ledge and see how easily it could have been the final 'push'!

Would you "reach out" a second time???????

Life can hurt awfully bad sometimes!  All you want at the time is OUT, out of the pain!

You are not mentally ill just mentally overloaded and feeling desperate to be able to change your own situation!

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Why do 2 stars get all the attention?   12 veterans commit suicide every day and no one notices.

@CalminHeart....exactly. My son was just another drug addict, recently released from jail, living on the streets when he took his life. The detective on the case didn't even take the time to try and track me down to let me know. Needless to say, I chewed him a new one. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer  I am so sorry!  Just can't imagine the pain and strength it takes to carry on every day.  God bless you.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills....thank you. It happened many years ago, but I think about it every day of my life. My beautiful granddaughter and great grand babies keep me going. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart @golding76  The article I saw yesterday indicated 22 Veterans committed suicide daily vs. two recent famous people. No matter what the accurate number is, our Veteran's deserve much better help with PTSD and anything other health issues they face. They have served and protected us well. Why are we, the people, letting them down?

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills @catwhisperer  You have both been through devestating periods in life. I'm so sorry for your loss, Catwhisperer. That's every parents worst nightmare.  Reading your posts (recently), these life lessons have made you strong, independent women. I hope your lives have become enriched with happiness over the years.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

How come the media is only jumping up and down due to celebrity suicides?  I'm pretty sure the suicide rate has remained steady among 'regular' people.

Respected Contributor

yes get something of help talk to family, they don't realize this is a huge problem and leaving their love ones that suffer. so much more than just killing yourself leaves family & friends to pick. up the pieces to continue on. This sadness goes on for years. 

Honored Contributor

If we really want it to be shouted from the rooftops, there is not better way ,than to make the facts known  of everybody's tragedy. The sad matter of fact is ,unless you are a celebrity , almost no one ,pays any attention to your demise

So ,I think the recent attention  given, to the two famous people ,is a good thing ,and helps spread the word about this terrible condition.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

How come the media is only jumping up and down due to celebrity suicides?  I'm pretty sure the suicide rate has remained steady among 'regular' people.

Suicide rates have increased 35% in my state in the last 5 years.  It's so sad.