Honored Contributor

Re: 'Will We Finally End the Silence Around Suicide?'

[ Edited ]

So many of us have heavy, sharp pains in our heart because of fear and worry over loved ones -- either their health (physical or mental) or because of strained relationships with them.  Or, we have financial woes that are overwhelming us.  Or, we ourselves are ill and are getting worse.

The thing is that we truly are not alone.  Another wise poster yesterday mentioned that her grandmother (was it?) understood and appreciated the simple pleasures of life.  She was rejoicing when she could sit out on the porch with a piece of pie, I believe, and enjoy a sweet evening.  So for those who feel their pain because of feeling inadequate, try to remember the basic joys of this life.  I know, if someone is in the deep hole of depression such easy answers do not work.

But if we try to help others and ourselves before we fall into a deep pit, maybe we can feel better and can help others along the way.

Life isn't easy.  I am not trying to make light of those situations that are dire and truly threatening; I am just throwing things out there to try to help in some way.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Yesterday, a very wise poster brought up the fact that so many veterans have died by suicide but there has been no high-wattage light on this sad situation for those who already sacrificed so much in the name of freedom.  We turned our backs on them, I guess hoping they'd disappear.

Maybe, just maybe the high-profile stars who recently passed by their own hand will click on some button that brings attention to our suffering veterans.

When only 1% of able Americans even sign up to serve, let alone fight in a war, it doesn't surprise me that people want them to disappear. Who wants to be responsible for that, not to mention the quilt over the fact they are glad it's not them. I don't feel any kind of connection with the rich and famous, but do 

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Yesterday, a very wise poster brought up the fact that so many veterans have died by suicide but there has been no high-wattage light on this sad situation for those who already sacrificed so much in the name of freedom.  We turned our backs on them, I guess hoping they'd disappear.

Maybe, just maybe the high-profile stars who recently passed by their own hand will click on some button that brings attention to our suffering veterans.

When only 1% of able Americans even sign up to serve, let alone fight in a war, it doesn't surprise me that people want them to disappear. Who wants to be responsible for that, not to mention the quilt over the fact they are glad it's not them. I don't feel any kind of connection with the rich and famous and could care less how they chose to deal with their demons.I do care about the men and women who serve this country and we should see that their needs are met. 

Honored Contributor

For some reason, I found some comments I heard on CNN the other evening when they were covering Anthony Bourdain's suicide of great importance and, I believe, worthy of being shared with anyone you know who is in jeopardy now.  To be clear, I am not speaking of medically assisted suicide here.

The widow of Chester Bennington of the band Linkin Park (I do not really know much about the band) has been actively trying to learn about suicide since her husband ended his life.  She has spoken to many suicide survivors.  She said that not one of them said they would try again.  That seems significant.

Also,  CNN reported that over 90% of those who try but fail to kill themselves never try again.   

Honored Contributor

blackhole,

Your thoughts are legitimate, of course, but you never know how this (the high-profile suicides) might help the cause of the vets.

I hope there is a new-found impetus to help them. 

Honored Contributor

IMO a  large percent of suicides take the family and friends by surprise, leaving them to wonder why?  The stigma of depression is what needs to end.  A lot of people think you can shake it off, ignore it, it will get better.  Clinical depression is an illness and when it is treated as such can be managed.  A lot of suicidal people are good a faking it and do not seek help or tell their doctor the meds are not working.  Therefore, they get so far down they see no way out.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@golding76

We have friends that lost their son to suicide. After his passing, they built a home for others who are homeless, have been in rehab or are continuing outpatient treatment for mental illness. 

They are going to continue building homes and offering help. All meals are home cooked, all the people have jobs through a program that gives back to the community and rules are in place for their safety and to establish a daily routine. 

They miss their son everyday. Their hope is to help others.

Honored Contributor

Why do 2 stars get all the attention?   12 veterans commit suicide every day and no one notices.

Honored Contributor

butterfly,

Your friends are angels who have managed to survive their searing personal loss to help others in such crucial ways.

All blessings to them and their noble endeavor! 

Respected Contributor

DH had a friend who was a Viet Nam vet show up at our house one summer night years ago. He was strung out on pain killers and was going to commit suicide. DH took him to the local VA hospital and checked him into the psychiatric unit for treatment. He actually was treated and eventually released. Later he went on to work with troubled teens. When people ask for help, please help them. I'm so glad DH helped his friend.