Respected Contributor

Re: Will Millenials Kill Costco?

@puttypiesmom

you wrote:

<<If that works for you great! I buy big items during seasonal sales and I pay CASH. >>

DH and I do the same thing. The difference is that we pay the cash in full monthly to our Costco VISA credit card.  Then, those purchases plus others made  on that same credit card at Costco and non-Costco stores during the year end up with a cash rebate check.  

The Costco VISA credit card offers a 4 percent rebate on Costco gasoline and lesser rebates at other stores and gas stations.  The rebate is  higher if you have an executive or business membership.

These benefits work so much in our favor that giving up a Costco membership would literally cost us money.

I'm only pointing this out because it appears many people don't understand the Costco business model and why it works.

Honored Contributor

I was a big user of Costco (Price Club) when my children were still at home.  I still shop there a few times a month but do not buy food anymore except for the occasional rotisserie chicken.  I love their coupons.  I always go with a list and only allow myself one item not on the list (usually fresh flowers).  

It took me awhile to figure out how to use their credit card to my advantage because I was used to paying cash.  Since they have changed from American Express to Visa it has many more options for extra cash.  I always use the Costco Visa for the rebate unless I am getting an extra discount for paying cash (I was going to use it yesterday to pay a plumber but they offered me a 4% discount for paying cash).  I pay off all credit cards monthly but I take advantage of the free perks they give out - I can't understand why anyone wouldn't......

Respected Contributor

Financial magazines, which usually list the best savings and financial products available, always seem to list the Costco VISA credit card as one of the best.

Super Contributor

ImaOldHippie, I'm sure that's what your parents thought of your generation. Some good, some bad. That's lifeSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Our Costco is  super busy... busy busy busy.  Good thing they are efficient.  The Millenials can stay home and tame the crowd.  LOL. 

And this is from on online shopper.  Heck I cannot even scan a credit card.  My hubby has to do it when we shop.  I buy everything online.  But I love Costco and I love wandering in and out each week.  As for mailing me the same stuff, perhaps but I think it is easier to just pick up what I want and go home.  

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@puttypiesmom

@you wrote:

<<If that works for you great! I buy big items during seasonal sales and I pay CASH. >>

DH and I do the same thing. The difference is that we pay the cash in full monthly to our Costco VISA credit card.  Then, those purchases plus others made  on that same credit card at Costco and non-Costco stores during the year end up with a cash rebate check.  

The Costco VISA credit card offers a 4 percent rebate on Costco gasoline and lesser rebates at other stores and gas stations.  The rebate is  higher if you have an executive or business membership.

These benefits work so much in our favor that giving up a Costco membership would literally cost us money.

I'm only pointing this out because it appears many people don't understand the Costco business model and why it works.

This works for us too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Just my opinion but I think millenials are killing this country and every thing in it.

@Imaoldhippie.  What's killing this country ain't millenials.

@proudlyfromNJ  Amen to that!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@onionsoup wrote:

About that cash rebate.  You have to spend well over $1,000 per month to get your once yearly certificate which would give you about $200. Of course your cash certificate will be larger the more you spend each and every month.  

uh....no. I spent about $200 a month including gas purchases and get a rebate check. A small one i will grant you, but a check none the less. I pay for my purchased with a debit card or pay my CC off every month so no interest charges. You can always claim to find something wrong if you have no interest in learning the facts.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Not a Baby Boomer, and I don't buy in bulk. I had a membership at one time, there. IMO people are buying on-line more. I don't really. My neighbors would probably take it anyways.lol.  So many Boomers on here, say such mean things about the Millennial's.

The Boomers could afford buying a house, having one income, pensions/401's, long term jobs, and savings. The Generation X (after the boomers) were starting to see things change. (not for the good)

Trusted Contributor

Millenials don't typically have a family/home to supply, and they're big into buying in small quantities regardless of cost for the sake of convenience.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.