Honored Contributor

Will California have "precipation backlash"?

[ Edited ]
For those I know are in CA: @Noel7 @september @Leiloni @Caligurll @suzyQ3 @kivah @hennypenny  @GSPgirl  @shoekitty  @ms traditional  I know I missed many.

Basically, this story says that in between drought conditions, there may be extra heavy rain leading to more dangerous flooding.

Buckle up, California. Some serious 'precipitation whiplash' predicted for the state

April 23, 2018 08:00 AM

Updated April 23, 2018 06:54 PM

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Will California have "precipation backlash"?

I suppose anything is possible....but what can you do about such a worry?

worry?

Move?

Build an Ark?

Or maybe just live your life.

Esteemed Contributor

Is this related to El Niño and La Niña?

Super Contributor

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  My hometown is Sacramento - though I've lived in Oklahoma for the past twenty years - the BRAC committee closed a boat load of bases back in the late 1990's.  McClellan AFB being one of them and my husband's employer.  Thus the move to Oklahoma with a job offer from Tinker Air Force Base.  So guess I'm an okie now.

Honored Contributor

It's news. 

As such, you are free to feel about this however you please or take or not take whatever action you see fit, @SeaMaiden

I would guess the same situation would occur all along the West Coast, esp since the PNW has experienced more drought in recent years.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Is this related to El Niño and La Niña?

Maybe look at the original article referenced in the story or contact the writer, @x Hedge?  

I would guess the answer is no because this is part of the larger change in climate altogether.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everything is scary.

'Trouble is' a lot (some have said an over-abundance) of homes have been built in a lower basin area, from what I've heard.  Where there was an actual 'lake of water' with steam/wheel-propelled ships, ('steam boats') similar to the tourist based ones in Lousiana and other places.  I recall hearing and seeing something about it on a documentary years ago.

The only remedy I can think of is to pay more attention and avoid low-lying areas when looking for homes/apts.  They could potentially/eventually be flood areas.  We really can't depend on anything or anyone else to 'correct' future problems.  Just be aware, and be in control (ourselves) of where we choose to live, if possible. 

Wishing all of us well and good luck, no matter what. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

It's news. 

As such, you are free to feel about this however you please or take or not take whatever action you see fit, @SeaMaiden

I would guess the same situation would occur all along the West Coast, esp since the PNW has experienced more drought in recent years.

@GingerPeach, I didn't infer that @SeaMaiden was scolding you for posting this; I just thought that she gave an opinion, with which, btw, I agree.

I had read the article in the Los Angeles Times this morning. I thought it was interesting, but ultimately, I just don't feel any sense of worry or panic. Every locale has its serious weather phenomena.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach In the article,  I don't believe it was the wettest Winter last year.  And what is with the short rainy season?   I remember it always beginning to rain in October and continuing into April, and remember looking out of the window and seeing flooding in the gutters, the water just rushing down. I also never heard of the 1862 experience, and I should have at some point, but assume that it happened.

Russian River may just disappear if flooding happens, it always overflows, and really gets the worst of storms.

It also depends in what part of California one lives, way up North gets a lot more rain that the lower North, and then Southern Ca gets even less, comparatively speaking.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@GingerPeach In the article,  I don't believe it was the wettest Winter last year.  And what is with the short rainy season?   I remember is always beginning to rain in October and continuing into April, and remember looking out of the window and seeing flooding in the gutters, the water just rushing down. I also never heard of the 1862 experience, and I should have at some point, but assume that it happened.

Russian River may just disappear if flooding happens, it always overflows, and really gets the worst of storms.

It also depends in what part of California one lives, way up North gets a lot more rain that the lower North, and then Southern Ca gets even less, comparatively speaking.

@mousiegirl

Can't agree more.  Aside from climate differences between nothern and southern California, there are micro-climates all over the place.  And, Southern California has been classified as being "Arid" vice the clim in Northern California, which is not at all arid.

The Russian River was the first thing which came to mind.  It has flooded so many times, I'm surprised insurers and local government continue to allow building and re-building along its banks.