Honored Contributor

Re: Wigs anyone????

[ Edited ]

Hi, @In-x-s.  Yes, there is.  Here's Patti, of "Patti's Pearls", giving the rundown on various methods.  I've seen her discuss a product called  "It Stays", which she seems to like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwp73rDA_IY

Most wigs stay on without extra means securing them, under normal conditions. For convertible driving, gale winds, and active or contact sports, the methods of clips or adhering give that added sense of security!

Oh, and here's a brief rundown of wig grip bands, clips, and other methods:

http://www.godivassecretwigs.com/blog/8-ways-to-secure-your-wig/

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for replying to this thread.  I learned a lot and watched a few videos.

Today, I am going to get my hair cut a little shorter and then I will go from there.  I did go back and look at that wig by Raquel (voltage) and I noticed the reviews at the beginning were really not very good.  "too little hair" "wrong color" "not as expected" etc......

I always look for the negative reviews because if they all have the same problem, then I know they are telling the truth.  But then, they started getting positive, so I don't know.  I do like the tousled look and when I used to get my hair done at the beauty parlor (in the days when they teased your hair) I always said "make me look like I just got out of bed".... I hate to fuss with my hair.

Anyway, thanks much to you Oznell.  So much information and I really learned stuff...... You are a Treasure with a capital T.......

Honored Contributor

Oh, it's my pleasure, @sophiamarie.  And I enjoyed reading the input of all the other posters on the thread.  It's such a fun topic, and a whole new area of beauty to explore.

I echo the others who recommended also going in person to a good wig store, if possible.  It's great to try on wigs in person before buying, if you possibly can.  You'll instantly see what works for your particular needs and taste.

Do keep us posted, and have fun!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Wigs anyone????

[ Edited ]

First off, I  DID NOT...read all the posting, I just saw your question and started typing so if you were told this already, ignore.

I wear WIGS 80% of the time.  BEFORE you run an buy anything, please go on YouTube, there are a lot of great tutorials which will help you be succesful.  If you do a search on here, I posted a few wig you tubers names.

Wigs are NOT perfect out the pacakge, we have to ALWAYS do some kind of tweaking to them and that is what you will learn online.  Also wigs can make your HAIR WORST and thin out your parementar if you don't use the "RIGHT" products from the start.

You will learn about a wig band or wig gripper as some people call them on YOUTUBE.

I could type a book about wigs but you will learn more on the Tube.  Also if you don't have a profile in you tube already, set up one, with any name you like, so you can "SAVE" the great tutorials.  I have so many saved and often times have to refer back to them.

A lace wig or a lace front wig is a special type of hairpiece or wig in which human hair or synthetic hair is tied by hand to a sheer lace base which goes over the scalp.  SO in the front of your head at the hair line, it looks more SMOOTH and natural.

THE BEST Lace wigs for me are from a online company called Friday Night Hair. That lace in the front blends seemless less.

For me

Step 1 - You Tube

Step 2 - Purchase Wig Gripper

Step 3 - Go and try on a few in your local Beauty Supply Store

Step 4 - Don't RUSH To buy one YET

For me, in the summer I don't wear LONG wigs like upper back cause they can be "HOT".  Also an easy wig would be a "BOB".  Your neck would get air, and it is a common style that does not look "super" fake.

Tips of the top of my head:

Secure with BOBBY pins *(closed at top)

Take down shine of wig with dry shampoo

** you are not washing the wig, the dry shampoo when sprayed on wig hair makes it not looks so plastic like doll hair.

Main TIP, unless you can cut/ curl hair good, I'd stick with synthetic wigs. They are much easier to work with.  I rarely wear human hair wigs anymore, it is too much work.  They would look good one day, not good the next.

Syn. wigs, look good everyday...

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

I googled that Voltage wig by RW and boy is it cute.   I'd love that kind of hair cut/style.

I assume it doesn't look like that out of the box so what do you do next to get it to look like that?

Honored Contributor

Hi, @Bridgegal--  Here's Haley, trying on "Voltage" in three different colors.  It doesn't look to me like she does much styling-- just pops them on and then fluffs. Occasionally, you do get a dud, and they need more "work"-- but there are quite a lot of youtube tutorials on how to style and "pump up" a synthetic wig....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv4h4b221F0

Honored Contributor

Oh, and here's one of the best videos, @Bridgegal, on what to do with a wig, right out of the box, to make it look "lived in" like real hair!  I've come back over and over to Patti's various tips and tricks.  She's fantastic-- even has an easy tutorial on how to cut her famous "dirty bangs" on wigs-- it's virtually fool-proof, and I'm a klutz, but even I can do it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=-jc0F_O_ZSg

Respected Contributor

@Oznell

Thank you so much for sharing that.  I watched it and others.  Very helpful.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Hi, @In-x-s.  Yes, there is.  Here's Patti, of "Patti's Pearls", giving the rundown on various methods.  I've seen her discuss a product called  "It Stays", which she seems to like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwp73rDA_IY

Most wigs stay on without extra means securing them, under normal conditions. For convertible driving, gale winds, and active or contact sports, the methods of clips or adhering give that added sense of security!

Oh, and here's a brief rundown of wig grip bands, clips, and other methods:

http://www.godivassecretwigs.com/blog/8-ways-to-secure-your-wig/

Thanks much @Oznell

Sorry for butting in on the thread @sophiamarie

Esteemed Contributor

@In-x-s  LOL - The more, the merrier.  We sure are learning a lot here, aren't we??? 

My only complaint is that I spent most of the day watching videos and got nothing much accomplished, except I did get a haircut and went to the grocery store.