Honored Contributor

Wearing wigs is akin to say wearing makeup....sure everyone knows you are wearing makeup....it's a given....but it is fun and makes you feel better.  Wigs are no different....they are fun and make you feel better. It is a win win!

Respected Contributor

I have given basically every brand a try.  The only one I don't recommend is Louis Ferre.  The hair was too thin.  My first wig was a Hairdo from QVC and it still is my favorite.

Otherwise, size average always fits me with a wig band for security.

While my colors are wild, I prefer those closer to my natural cut, pixie.  I have some longer bobs which I had to cut to shorter bobs.

My favorite store is Name Brand Wigs when they have 30% off.  By working the sales my "real" wigs average about $100.  For fashion colors, I like Divatress on sale or clearance. Those average about $20.  The AA pixies are darling and good quality.

I like mono tops, but not the price.  Lace fronts would be an advanced skill and I haven't ventured into it yet.

Respected Contributor

Has anyone tried the lace fronts?

How did it go?

Honored Contributor

Re: Wig Plan Went Well

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

Has anyone tried the lace fronts?

How did it go?

I find some lace tops itchy but overall I haven't had a problem with them. My human hair wigs are lace tops except for one silk top. 
Estética has my favorite synthetic wigs, many are lace fronts. They are in the $200-300 range but I can usually find a 30% off coupon at cysterwigs.com. I like hairdos because they have some fun and funky colors too. 

Honored Contributor

Enjoy!  My sister also collects wigs, they are fashion accessories for her, she doesn't pretend they are her real hair.  She had two brain surgeries and after the second surgery, her hair did not grow back well and there was the scar. The last thing she cared about was her natural hair.  She also has a buzz cut and wears wigs when she goes out.  She doesn't wear wile colors but she has long ones, short ones mid length ones.  Reds. blonde, brunettes.  I told her it's time to get a nice gray one and she gave me the stink eye and didn't take my calls for over a week....LOL

Respected Contributor

I am admittedly jealous.

I ordered a wig from QVC and became disgusted, in fact I was outraged.

The wig came and it was evident it was used and a return and had been worn.

The wig was slapped in the package and there was even a tangled hair net with a bobby pin snagged inside the wig.

I was so turned off that I can not consider ordering another wig.

But, I would so like to.

My last hair cut was in mid February and I had a short pixie. My hair is now on my neck and the hair on the sides are below my ears. I learnt to cut my own bangs and that is a plus!

Respected Contributor

@chiclets Short hair wigs are so easy.  Check out the Black/AA stores for synthetic wigs.  Keep in mind that you might need to shave the back of your head for the really short pixies. Maybe you could start with a short bob.Get the name of the wig you like and check out you tubes.  Some of those young girls have such attitude.

While I recommend the AA sites, I am as pale as a ghost IRL.  The styles look good on me and don't scream out cultural appropriation at all.

I have always chosen synthetic because the idea of wearing someone elses hair creeps me out.  Just me.

Respected Contributor

@KarenQVC 

Thank you for the info. I really upset me to receive a wig in such a used condition. I am afraid of it happening again. I do not like feeling dirty and a used wig would creep me out.

But hey, sometimes when one is desperate they will do anything??????

Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@chiclets Short hair wigs are so easy.  Check out the Black/AA stores for synthetic wigs.  Keep in mind that you might need to shave the back of your head for the really short pixies. Maybe you could start with a short bob.Get the name of the wig you like and check out you tubes.  Some of those young girls have such attitude.

While I recommend the AA sites, I am as pale as a ghost IRL.  The styles look good on me and don't scream out cultural appropriation at all.

I have always chosen synthetic because the idea of wearing someone elses hair creeps me out.  Just me.

Do you order your wigs online or shop in a B&M store?  Could you list some places that you like?  TIA.

Respected Contributor

@DottieBlue I always order online.  For the "real" wigs I have ordered from QVC, Vogue Wigs, and Name Brand Wigs.  Most of my fun color pixies were from Divatress.

I always check for reviews of the online store before I buy. I never received a used wig so far.  Name Brand Wigs CS is very good for help after sale if you need help with styling.  Be aware of return policies and restocking fees.

I know some of the beauty supplies have the lower end products.  If you go into the store you could check whether the package had been opened.

Good luck.