Trusted Contributor

Wifi extenders......do they really work? Recommendations?

I recently bought a Roku to use in my bedroom on the second floor of my house.  I can barely use it because the wifi is so bad upstairs.  My router is located in the downstairs in my computer room.  I can't really move it, as that is where my desktop computer is, and the router needs to be plugged into the modem. 

I've been thinking about getting some sort of wifi extender, but I haven't found one online that gets really good reviews.  Does anyone use one?  If so, does it work, and can you recommend a certain brand and model?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Wifi extenders......do they really work? Recommendations?

Yes, they work!   I use tpLink.  Mine is older, so I'll bet my model has been updated.  

I bought a set of two at Costco, but it turns out that one is enough for me.  I even get a good wireless signal out n my back patio.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sue98, yes .they do.  I bought mine at Costco (I am in Canada so brand probably won't help you).  My instructions said your signal on the extender should be 80% plus to get good reception.  I had 75% where I located it so I moved it and got 88%.  Works like a charm!  LM

New Contributor

I bought a Netgear at Best Buy, and it works great. I needed it for my Blink cameras which also are great.

Honored Contributor

they absolutely do help and work. there are different strengths to consider, depending on how large your home is.

i have a netgear extender that i placed in the middle of my home.

it was quite easy to set up and does the job.

also note that you should have a great internet speed through your provider for your roku to work well.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

We have a Netgear extender to use out on our patio and it works great. You just have to remember to sign back on the Wi-fi used for inside when you come back in.

Honored Contributor

My personal tech guy says yes and recommended one for me to improve data speeds in part of my house. I admit to being lazy though and haven't installed one yet. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Extenders do work well, but, and this is a big but, location matters too, if you have significant metal between the router or extender and the receiving device, you're apt to run into issues. The good news is with one or more extenders you can move them around to get the optimal signal.

My Comcast gateway blasts my signal out a long, long way. (Partly because Comcast uses home gateways as hotspots for everyone to share.) I can use my wifi in a neighbor's house and still get a very strong signal. (A good reason to choose a very strong password and not share it with your neighbors.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

I recently bought a Roku to use in my bedroom on the second floor of my house.  I can barely use it because the wifi is so bad upstairs.  My router is located in the downstairs in my computer room.  I can't really move it, as that is where my desktop computer is, and the router needs to be plugged into the modem. 

I've been thinking about getting some sort of wifi extender, but I haven't found one online that gets really good reviews.  Does anyone use one?  If so, does it work, and can you recommend a certain brand and model?  Thanks!

yes they do work

I have used netgear

first set I got, guy at staples said I should buy same brand as router, so I  did .  Not sure how true this advice is 

some people will say  extenders don't work but I my house it's the difference between little to no wifi and 80% signal.

Honored Contributor

Yes, wifi extenders really do work! We have a carriage house (garage with living quarters above) in the back of our house. Our wifi (located in our computer room here in the house) has no problem reaching out there too. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"