Honored Contributor

Re: Wife of U.S. Diplomat in the UK drove on wrong side of road

@willdob3   Okay.  I didn't know about the pre-meditation exception.  Well, I'll still hope for the best outcome for the British family. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

I don’t understand why they are attempting to get her to come back to the UK for prosecution. She has diplomatic immunity and it is rarely waived. 

I agree.  But we had an incidents in which a relative of a diplomat  injured or raped someone that returned to the U.S. with out any kind of legal prosecution. That person can be expelled from that country (and can't return there) but that's all.  I don't think any diplomat's family murdered anyone....but does leave you wondering.

Link to immunity:  https://www.thoughtco.com/diplomatic-immunity-definition-4153374

There was a case of immunity waived.  "In one high-profile example, when the deputy ambassador to the United States from the Republic of Georgia killed a 16-year-old girl from Maryland while driving drunk in 1997, Georgia waived his immunity. Tried and convicted of manslaughter, the diplomat served three years in a North Carolina prison before returning to Georgia".

@songbird 

It really surprises me that they waived immunity in this case. The US must have had additional issues with the deputy ambassador. 

I have never ever been a fan of diplomatic immunity. I am sure it helps Inc good ways but it really seems to mostly let people get away with horrible things.

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

@willdob3

Perhaps if you had seen the interview with the parents you might have some empathy.

@JillyMarie 

It has nothing to do with empathy. Diplomatic immunity means they can walk away from things that anyone else would be charged and punished for. It doesn’t matter how bad we feel for the family. 

Honored Contributor

It might not be first degree murder ,but she still murdered him...I have no pity for her. A person of integrity would have not fled @willdob3 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It might not be first degree murder ,but she still murdered him...I have no pity for her. A person of integrity would have not fled @willdob3 

@cherry 

Sadly, protecting people from things like this is what diplomatic immunity does much of the time. I wouldn’t even attempt to guess why she left the scene of the country. Her behavior makes no sense to me.

And, if they were to start making more exceptions and waiving immunity, it will cause an uproar, too, because it becomes worthless.

Honored Contributor

Our country should try to help this poor family. I hope they are making out  a huge check to  this poor family . It won't bring the poor boy back, but it might help the family in some small measure

They need to vet people that are given this sort of immunity, to make sure they are a person of integrity ,worthy of having it..I am deeply ashamed of this

Honored Contributor

I once was on some island with opposite lanes.  Puerto Rico, one of the Virgin Islands, hard to remember.  Anyway, I just couldn't adjust, my travelmate had to do the driving.  

Trusted Contributor

And that is why I don’t drive in the UK. My daughter lives in London so I visit about once a year and during the week, she works until very late. If they drove on the right hand side of the road, I would rent a car to visit places outside of London. I have driven for too long to change,  it is embedded into my mind to drive on the right. It helps a little if you have a British car with driver on the right. 

When we lived outside of London in the sixties, my dad made that mistake pulling out of a quiet, empty road onto a busier one. He was turning right and just on auto pilot pulled into the right hand lane, driving a German car. No one hurt, thankfully.  So, not for me.

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It makes me ill to think about it. Immunity shouldn't be a license to get away with murder no matter what country you are from

I agree. I live in NYC. We have the U.N. here. It's disgusting, over the decades, what diplomats have gotten away with. And, yes, killing a pedestrian with a vehicle was one incident.   NYers were outraged. 

Respected Contributor

I could be wrong but I think the worst she could be charged with is involuntary mansiaughter. I don't know if a conviction for it would require any jail time. Might be probation and a fine, only she will never know since she's immune to prosecution for the crime. All because she is a diplomat's wife and an uncooperative, heartless liar to have said she'd stay but fled.