Honored Contributor

Re: Why would you stop for your carry on?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Sooner   I didn't insinuate anything. I just stated news reports.  And while there are alot of situations where you don't know what your reaction would be, I am 100% certain in a fire I'm out of there. No personal property is worth dying for.

I heard of  another crash instance where people did the same thing. All I can say is if I'm trying to get my loved one and myself off a burning gas can with wings you best get out of my way,

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I didn't address my comments to you specifically.  I simply commented on the situation and on my take on it.  

Having been in an emergency situation I don't care to discuss, I can tell you sometimes rational thinking goes out the window.  That is all my point was.  A point, not pointed. 

Honored Contributor

The visuals of people running/walking away from the engulfed aircraft with luggage, backpacks, etc., may've caused speculation that was reported on the news.

In the days to come, I'm positive surviving passengers will be able to verify if this did indeed happen.

I will base my feelings after that.

Honored Contributor

This isn’t the first time I have heard this happening in this type of situation. Grabbing your bag you have with you is one thing, but trying to remove things from the overhead bin in an emergency is just all wrong. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe the overhead bins popped opened upon impact causing the luggage to fall on people & onto the aisles.  Folks grabbing luggage to clear the aisles????

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

This isn’t the first time I have heard this happening in this type of situation. Grabbing your bag you have with you is one thing, but trying to remove things from the overhead bin in an emergency is just all wrong. 

Sure, and we don’t know if they had their bags with them already (mine is always under the seat in front of me) or if they had to retrieve them from overhead bins. Many people carry meds they can’t live without, in their carryons.  Type 1 diabetics, for instance.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Sure, and we don’t know if they had their bags with them already (mine is always under the seat in front of me) or if they had to retrieve them from overhead bins. Many people carry meds they can’t live without, in their carryons.  Type 1 diabetics, for instance.  

The darn plane is on fire! Who cares about their meds? 

Honored Contributor

Who cares about their meds?  Maybe people who are in a state of shock and panicking.  Like I said earlier, I’ve never been in a plane crash.  I’m not sure what would be going through my head.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

It doesn't matter if the bag is in the overhead or under the seat in front of you, if you have to evacuate, you are supposed to leave everything.  That's why I keep my ID, a credit card and some cash in one pocket and my cell phone in another. You get up and get out.  You don't take anything with you. There's another article about this in the NY Times today. 

There's also an article in USToday that says the forward flight attendant was "grabbing people by the collar" and pushing them towards the exits because they were stopping to retrieve their belongings. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry I read this now.  I didn't hear it on the news but it sounds right.  As a people, we have become foolish, selfish, greedy and clueless.  They cared about their "stuff" more than they cared about human life, even their own.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never been in a plane crash either but I'm 99.9% sure that if a plane is engulfed in flames and there are people behind me ready to be burned up in those flames, I'm not diddling around getting my bags, I'm getting the heck out of there and trying to help others get out as well.   I cannot imagine anyone knowing there are people in that situation and just not caring.  

A couple of weeks ago we were on a flight and prior to take-off they went through all the emergency information and yes, it was specifically mentioned that in an emergency situation, you are to exit the plane immediately, leaving all personal belongings in the overhead bins or under the seat.  You do NOT stop to retrieve items.