Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom Agree, and Dr. Gupta has stated a few times, that when grocery shopping, touch only what you intend to buy. Have a list, make your trip quick and get out. But, people aren't doing so. 

I've seen friends running into each other, catching up on what appears to be years of updates, blocking aisles. When talking enthusiastically, masks without the bendable nose piece, tend to slide down the face.  So they're fighting their masks. If contagious, they then have contaminated their hands, while touching everything. Also the restockers will practically run over you with their carts, not keeping any safe distance, AND, they're touching everything.

In addition, I've seen individuals stop in the middle of aisles, remove their mask and take, or make a phone call. Also, on my last visit, a man was walking toward me and, I"d say about 10 feet from me, when he quickly removed his mask and coughed as hard as imaginable, right in my direction. It seemed a reflex response from him, unintentional, but he seemed oblivious to the fact that the mask is intended to prevent such droplet spreading. 

We can only do the best we can, wth the knowledge that others may not. However, it's best to just move on and not say anything. Too many people are running with scissors right now and their reactions may be more than we want to handle. Don't poke the bears.

BTW, we're required to wear masks here, or we don't have entry, or service, wherever folks are shopping, or gathering.

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Hoovermom Agree, and Dr. Gupta has stated a few times, that when grocery shopping, touch only what you intend to buy. Have a list, make your trip quick and get out. But, people aren't doing so. 

I've seen friends running into each other, catching up on what appears to be years of updates, blocking aisles. When talking enthusiastically, masks without the bendable nose piece, tend to slide down the face.  So they're fighting their masks. If contagious, they then have contaminated their hands, while touching everything. Also the restockers will practically run over you with their carts, not keeping any safe distance, AND, they're touching everything.

In addition, I've seen individuals stop in the middle of aisles, remove their mask and take, or make a phone call. Also, on my last visit, a man was walking toward me and, I"d say about 10 feet from me, when he quickly removed his mask and coughed as hard as imaginable, right in my direction. It seemed a reflex response from him, unintentional, but he seemed oblivious to the fact that the mask is intended to prevent such droplet spreading. 

We can only do the best we can, wth the knowledge that others may not. However, it's best to just move on and not say anything. Too many people are running with scissors right now and their reactions may be more than we want to handle. Don't poke the bears.

BTW, we're required to wear masks here, or we don't have entry, or service, wherever folks are shopping, or gathering.

@BlueFinch :  Restrictions as far as masks are at Costco,  nail salons and hair salons (just my experience).

Valued Contributor

I think we all knew from day 1 that it made sense for everyone to wear a mask. Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

It's called the novel coronavirus because it's new. That's why what is believed and known about it keeps changing-because it is a new virus. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

German Shepherd: 

Yes!  I'm one of the few (way back) who posted that wearing a mask is better than nothing.  

Actually, just about a half hour ago, I was about to feed a quarter into a parking meter.

A big, burly man pulled up in front of me, got out of his car and let out a big cough on the meter.

He wasn't wearing a mask, but his wife/girlfriend had one on.  He gave me a 'smirk'. 

So, I sat there, hoping that we wouldn't be ticketed.  (DH briefly ran into a store seconds before  this man showing up.  I was gathering quarters for the meter.)

So, I'm still thinking that wearing masks is a good idea, for the sake of all of us.  

And, now that I'm here and thinking about it,  children are 'low to the ground', where most likely there are even more germs/virus lurking.  

Keep safe.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Re: Why wear a mask?

[ Edited ]

P.S.

Now that I'm thinking about it (again), just a couple of weeks ago, I was out front, minding my own business, watering plants, and someone drove by (on the other side of the street, driver/window facing me), and let out a huge cough.  

I didn't see who it was, but sounded like a male.

Luckily, the wind wasn't blowing in my direction. 

But why would a person do that when someone was out front?

I'm a nice, slightly timid looking person.  Not by any means a person who has a grudge or mean type of look. 

At least wait a few seconds where there weren't any people, or keep the cough in his car. 

Oh, well.  

I'm luckily fine, and even though he was across the street,  could it be that the droplets could travel across the narrow street on a breezy day.  (?)

Again, keep safe; be careful.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Contributor

It most certainly is "a biggie".  These masks are usless, and do nothing be dehumanize the wearer.  Summer is coming, I imagine the stupid masks will disappear with the hear!

Respected Contributor

Re: Why wear a mask?

[ Edited ]

@Creek Street wrote:

It most certainly is "a biggie".  These masks are usless, and do nothing be dehumanize the wearer.  Summer is coming, I imagine the stupid masks will disappear with the hear!

Did you see the OP? I guess you are OK  being in a room with Covid patients and no one wearing a mask? Wearing a mask shows respect for the health and well being of those you come in contact with. If you consider that dehumanizing, then I question your definition of human.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Creek Street wrote:

Is your statement about the use of masks based on the input of some scientific authority or agency?

It would be very helpful if you'd be generous enough to share your source.

Valued Contributor

If you're at risk, please stay home.  It is the single most effective way to preserve your health.

I would not bet my life on a couple of pieces of fabric, nor on the compliance of others.

Some people will wear masks, some won't.  Some will wear them properly, some won't.  The only person whose actions you can control are your own.  

Stay safe!!!!!  Stay home.  There is no better advice for avoiding this virus.