Honored Contributor

Another day, another mask argument thread.  And even with the info provided people still get it wrong.

Kinda reminds me of the good old days with the food arguments.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

I'm with @haddon9 on this one.  I totally understand the need for the masks with this virus, pending effective treatment, and/or  immunization. I never leave home without, and just ordered more.

However, I hope it doesn't have to become our norm. For me, they're uncomfortable. Not too bad during cooler weather, but I'm not looking forward to 100 degree temps, with unbearable humidity, with my face covered. 

We have to remember, too, that as long as masks are necessary, we will not be able to go back to any form of our old normal.  Many restrictions will still apply, even if virus cases are down, and controlled.

For me, if masks remain required, it represents the end of our freedom of time's past. Life changing, for all. I think it's what many are afraid of.

I had this mental flash, that if just a few people attending Woodstock, had carried this virus, they could have infected half of the people there. Who knew such a virulent virus would strike us and that large gatherings would become prohibited.  It's a major adjustment.    

@BlueFinch   Funny you should mention Woodstock!  DH brought it up recently and commented that during that time we were in the middle of the Hong Kong flu of 1968/69 which killed 1 million worldwide and 100,000 in the US.

Yet back then I don't really remember it very much.  The news was only on twice a day and they just didn't scare people to death like they do today...so why weren't concertgoers infected at Woodstock? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Why wear a mask?

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

I'm with @haddon9 on this one.  I totally understand the need for the masks with this virus, pending effective treatment, and/or  immunization. I never leave home without, and just ordered more.

However, I hope it doesn't have to become our norm. For me, they're uncomfortable. Not too bad during cooler weather, but I'm not looking forward to 100 degree temps, with unbearable humidity, with my face covered. 

We have to remember, too, that as long as masks are necessary, we will not be able to go back to any form of our old normal.  Many restrictions will still apply, even if virus cases are down, and controlled.

For me, if masks remain required, it represents the end of our freedom of time's past. Life changing, for all. I think it's what many are afraid of.

I had this mental flash, that if just a few people attending Woodstock, had carried this virus, they could have infected half of the people there. Who knew such a virulent virus would strike us and that large gatherings would become prohibited.  It's a major adjustment.    

@BlueFinch   Funny you should mention Woodstock!  DH brought it up recently and commented that during that time we were in the middle of the Hong Kong flu of 1968/69 which killed 1 million worldwide and 100,000 in the US.

Yet back then I don't really remember it very much.  The news was only on twice a day and they just didn't scare people to death like they do today...so why weren't concertgoers infected at Woodstock? 

Because the virus wasn't nearly as contagious or deadly as Covid. In addition, Woodstock was not held at the peak of the Pandemic, it was held when the disease was dormant, between the first and second wave. You are promoting a false equivilency.

I have too much compassion and care for others to ever want to be responsible for giving them Covid. Clearly those who do not want to wear maskes are blessed in the fact that they have never seen what the disease does to those who get symptoms.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 Maybe the drugs created an inhospitable environment for the flu virus Woman Wink.

Interestingly, I've read several stats that claim smokers are less likely to contract COVID. Of course, if they do, it's NOT good. But, it seems even a mindless virus may be able to avoid a toxic environment. Too bad we can't. 

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  From what I could tell, it was just a local effort that was held in the lobby of a local hospital.  But you could check to see if there is a Gold Star Mothers group in your area that has a similar activity.  The mask is very well constructed.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

This has got to go a long way to protect people from other viruses as well.  I wonder how many flu cases could be avoided during its normal season if everyone was wearing masks?

@geezerette Doe this mean that you would like to see people wearing masks out in public forever into the future?

I'm really not okay with that and there are plenty of others who feel the same way.

@haddon9 

First, my post was just an observation and question.

Second, if you mean would I like to have a permanent nationwide mandate/rule/law that everyone must wear a mask in public?  My answer would be 'no'.

However, many people have worn masks well before this pandemic when in public, for a variety of reasons.  And during a heavy flu season, I might consider doing that myself.  

Honored Contributor

@Catstamper   I don't touch, sneeze, cough on anyone. I don't get close to any one nor do I talk to anyone in a store unless necessary...I will not live my life in fear of a virus.

...currently my fear is losing my business

Respected Contributor

In the long run, I think it's up to each of us to act accordingly to our own beliefs to stay safe.   We can not force a person to do things just because we may or may not want the same things or have or not have the same opinions.  We can only protect ourselves in the manner which we feel comfortable and safe.

A temporary shutdown was necessary especially when we were dealing with an unknown and frightening virus.  BUT, a permanent shutdown or constant panic/fear is not rational.  Have Faith, Not Fear.

I, on the otherhand, will wear a mask (disposable or cloth) out in public until I feel safe not to do so.

Freedom to do what is best for each of us should never be questioned, IMO, and I think we are all smart enough to do what is the best!

Honored Contributor

Our news just did a piece last night about the Spanish flu and how it compares to Covid-19.  One thing they said was that there were shutdowns during this time, however I have read many, many times that everything didn't stop because of that flu.  Also, more people died in the second wave of the flu than in the first wave.  And that flu went over a period of 2 years.   At that time, we didn't have the knowledge or treatments that we do today either.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Why wear a mask?

[ Edited ]

I had an awful time wearing a cotton mask so threw them away last week & I switched to a face shield with an eyeglass frame...it's easy to wear, I don't get overheated & it covers my eyes too.