Respected Contributor

Re: Why so hard to get people to do a good job?

@chiclet....I hear ya. Been there, done that, many times. It seems that anymore many people are not concerned about doing a good job, they are just there to collect a paycheck. Whatever happened to people taking pride in their work? Smiley Sad 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

When I posted the original post I thought it was just me and I was cursed.  Now I feel like it is a sad state of affairs and getting something done right is just about impossible.  I think the bad ones really make it hard for the few good ones.  Even if I have the money for a project I want done, I will just live with it rather than go through all that.  My feeling was that doing something right was just as much for me as for the other person.  I like the satisfaction of doing a good job.  If I worked at McDonalds for minimum wage I would take pride making sure I did a good job just as much as if I made great money.  I also agree with the ones who complained about Doctors offices, etc.  It spills over to all work places.   I feel the elderly really get taken advantage of.  I live in a senior community of about 600 homes.  A quality repair person who could do a lot of different things well could stay busy and earn a good living just in this community. 

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain!  My husband and I are the same -- we could write a book on all the disasters and horrible service, etc. that we have received.  Everything is a battle or so it seems.  Just getting someone to show up is a miracle!!  They say they will show up on a certain day at a certain time.  So, you arrange your schedule and wait and wait and wait. Either they don't show up at all or show up hours late.  Then, there are times they show up totally unprepared acting as though they have no clue what it is you want fixed or done -- after you have spent considerable time on the phone with them explaing exactly what the issue is.  Of course, parts are never available and must be ordered, so there is more delay.  And when things do get "fixed", they are usually not really "fixed" and require subsequent calls and visits, or the job is very below par and you tell them and then they give you the look and tell you the job is complete.  So, you are not alone.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forget about those big box stores for repairs in the future.  I would never call them unless there was a specific warranty on the product. 

I found an independent plumber, electrician, and furnace company here in tow that I call.  They do great work and keep me posted about the time they'll arrive.

Recently, my car was sideswiped and they tore off my rear view mirror.  I called the dealer and it would be $360.  I called a well known, reputable independent body shop and they will charge me only $250.   I don't go to my dealer for routine maintenance, etc, now that my car is out of warranty either.  Local shops do a much better job for less money.

It's the same with jewelry.  Never take a repair to chain store.   I found an independent jeweler who does outstanding work for a lot less.  I wouldn't dream of going to a chain or big box store for such a repair.

67 is still young.  I'm almost there and it doesn't keep me from trying to find a local reputable company.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I already posted elsewhere about my experience with painters (it was good).  However, for those living in Virginia (and I suspect other states as well), you can go online at dpor.virginia.gov (DPOR is Department of Professional and Occupational Regulations).  It is a database of licensed workers.  I know that just bc someone is licensed doesn't mean their workmanship is necessarily good but it's just another resource you can use along with Better Bus Bureau, and other sites.  This database is of contractors, home improvement companies, realtors, you name it.  

Another resource here where I live - I'm in an HOA run community and there is an official HOA website and a unofficial webside that is resident run.  On the resident website, we have a section dedicated to contractors we've used.  It used to list just the preferred contractors and they have since added contractors that didn't live up to the job they were supposed to be doing.

Honored Contributor

Only twice have we had a contractor who didn't do a good job. My major issue is getting them to show up on time and not 4 hours late. 

Angie's list has been our go to for home repairs.

Respected Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

It's very sad that no one cares about the quality of work they do for others regardless of how much we are charged for a job done well or not.

No one cares anymore.

The older contractors seem more likely to care.  I'ts all about the work ethic instilled by the parents.  So many of the last two generations seem to not get it.  They have been given too much ($500 phones and designer tennis shoes).  My generation (baby boomers) are the problem solvers - let's find a way to make this work, but the current generations don't want to fool with it if it is not easy.  They are all trying to be reallity stars, but have no self confidence and limited moral compus.  The cashier at my local Village Inn can't even add and subtract and does not think she should have to.

@RealtyGal2  I have one better than that. When my daughter was in the 11th grade she was the only one in her class that could read a clock. All the other students could only tell time using their phones. 

Honored Contributor

I am not so sure they dont care about the quality of work.  I think the standards have just been lowered as the older trade guys retired and new ones took over.  The younger kids just have a different attitude.  They think the work is great, and I think...they gotta be kidding!

some trades in California are just becoming extinct, especially brick layers, wood workers.  It is a job finding someone to prime, paint and install, with caulking baseboards!  One guy says he will primer and paint, but wont install.  The installation guy says he doesnt do the caulking.  Try to find someone to install a jenn air downdraft stove!!!

finding a decent painter is hard.  None wanted to primer the house although we said we would pay extra. They didnt want to primer new gutters.  We had to do it. They said, the paint now a days has a primer in it.  Balony, we wanted it primered as it needed it.  We wound up having to primer ourselves.  This was years ago.  The paint still looks good for another hear or two.  The quality primer did it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could write a book about this topic. I have a list of contractors and subs and I have titled the list the "wall of shame". Have been trying to get our upstairs bathroom gutted and redone so we can sell our house. The contractor we loved moved out of state. Have called 12....12 contractors who have been highly recommended....they either never show up, show up an hour late, don't speak any English at all, have no idea how to do a bathroom, or tell me I need other things also redone and they won't do just a bathroom. My personal favorite was the guy who came into the house looked up the stairs, and then gave me a price....never saw the bathroom.    We haven't moved.
There seems to be no pride of workmanship anymore.

Honored Contributor

Lowes and Home Depot use whatever workers they can find....Lowes flooded my mother's kitchen when they installed her new washer....they didn't know there was a way to turn off the water.....one the two guys told me I really needed to get a plumber....because all he was hired to do was to " bring in the washer and plug it in." They left with three inches of water flowing over her original hardwood floors.....