Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why so hard to get people to do a good job?

[ Edited ]

@151949  Priceless story! Doubt many would have called at 6:00 AM to complain.

I would have had my husband drive me to work, called the dealer and had them pick up my car to repair the tires. The dealer would have picked me up later that afternoon. By 8:00 AM, that contractor would know about the mess of nails and that I expected everything cleaned up before the end of the day. If the roofing job was completed well, we would have been completely satisfied. 

We all get the same situation resolved in different ways.  Yours made me laugh! And, I'm confident he made sure it didn't happen again. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I have been getting this same treatment, except with my doctors.  Quack  quack  quack.. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@151949  Priceless story! Doubt many would have called at 6:00 AM to complain.

I would have had my husband drive me to work, called the dealer and had them pick up my car to repair the tires. The dealer would have picked me up later that afternoon. By 8:00 AM, that contractor would know about the mess of nails and that I expected everything cleaned up before the end of the day. If the roofing job was completed well, we would have been completely satisfied. 

We all get the same situation resolved in different ways.  Yours made me laugh! And, I'm confident he made sure it didn't happen again. 

First - my DH traveled for his job so most likely wasn't there. It also wasn't his responsibility - it was the contractors! Why would I get the tires fixed - at my expense when it was also the contractors responsibility? I told him on the way to work I expected the car fixed when I got home, and I gave him the owners card & keys - he simply answered Yes Ma'am. Usually when a dealer picks up a car or picks you up after the repairs are complete - you pay for that service. I had no intention of paying for anything.When he asked me what time to pick me up after work I told him I never know when I'll be done so I'll call and let you know. 

I admit the ride to work in the morning was pretty tense. I was extremely angry and the poor contractor was simply sleepy.It's a 30 min ride but felt a lot longer. By the time he came to get me in the evening -he was back to being his normal self, apologized profusely, and swore he had learned his lesson. He said his wife and his Mom were both getting a big kick out of me dragging him out of bed at 6AM. I made their day.

Also - when I was at work I did not have time to be worrying about calling  someone to tow my car in and arranging to get it fixed, and picked up etc. I needed to concentrate on my own job - one which required a person to put their attention on their patients not on their personal business.

Honored Contributor

In all the contractors and repairmen we've ever had, there were maybe 2 who didn't keep their word/timeline.  The majority were on time, on budget.  I don't agree that "no one wants to work anymore" or that no one cares.  It's just not the case.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@chiclet

My husband is a builder and I can tell you it is near impossible for him to find helpers that live up to his standards of doing any job -- from the smallest to largest.

If they don't do things his way, they don't stay around long.  If he has to check behind them all the time, he just does the task himself.  He is a stickler for cleaning up as he goes along and leaving the workplace spotless when it is done.  

Consequently, he is in constant demand because he shows up when he says he will and does not quit until the job is done to the satisfaction of those paying him. 

His work is mostly word of mouth and repeat business, and he is always busy.  

Mostly, the shoddy work is caused by people trying to do jobs when they don't have the skills.  He sees it all the time.  Things done wrong, or half way and let go.  Drives him crazy!  

Oh, and I cannot even get him started on the workers used by Lowe's or other places.  He turns into a raving maniac Cat LOL

Someone says they are a carpenter or can lay tile and they don't have the faintest idea how to do a job right.

I've seen a lot of his work and it is impeccable.  But, he is old school and honest. 

A dying breed for sure.

I wish he lived near me!

Frequent Contributor

I don’t comment on every thread I read but had to on this one. 

My husband and myself own an electrical company, he is a Master Electrician and his dream was to always own his own business.

One of our main reasons for starting our own company was that we could work for ourselves and decide how our company would be ran.

He had worked for several electrical companies and I had worked for a contractor for 7+ years before we struck out on our own, so we had seen a lot of what is being mentioned here.

I agree whole heartedly that it is difficult finding people you can trust but I also assure you that they are out there. We treat every single customer that comes through our doors or calls us the same, whether it be a couple that just needs a light switch changed out all the way to our new construction contractors, no one is placed above the other. A phone call is never unreturned, if we say we will be there we show up and at the time we tell you we will be there. I even hand write thank you notes to our new customers within 3 weeks of their first service with us. 

Smaller and newer companies catch a bad rap a lot of times and yes I can see the other side of it, but we aren’t all the same. We have been in business for 3 years this coming August and we have been fortunate to have a lot of people take a chance on a new company and I hope that they have not been disappointed. They keep calling back for new projects, service calls, etc. so we assume they are happy Smiley Happy

Oh and we spent next to nothing on advertising, still to this day the only advertisement we have is YP. Word of mouth has been our main source of our customers, so my advice is to ask your friends, coworkers, fellow church members, neighbors, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have had the same issues.  Sadly today people have little or no respect for anyone or anything.  That attitude transfers to how they do everything.  And, as long as they get paid, they don't care one bit about doing a good job.  

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

In all the contractors and repairmen we've ever had, there were maybe 2 who didn't keep their word/timeline.  The majority were on time, on budget.  I don't agree that "no one wants to work anymore" or that no one cares.  It's just not the case.

@Mj12, we generally have had good experiences with workers that we have hired. I don't buy into thecdying breed stuff. It's the looking back with rose-colored glasses that I read here so often.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

This isnt exactly a repair or service situation,  but in the last 2.5 years my physician, opthmologist, podiatrist, nail tech, and car repair owner all retired.  While I do congratulate them, its been extremely hard trying to connect with new people.  

You get used to receiving good care or service for years then its just gone.  Work ethic or the ability to listen to people just doesnt seem to exist anymore. 

Honored Contributor

After today, I must agree. We've had many workers at our house for the last few months doing some interior & exterior remodeling. Had two different projects going on today. One was done perfectly at a reasonable cost, the other was such a confused mess, that I wanted to cry. My DH and I aren't big complainers, but in this case, we need to bring up to the owner of the company that some of our woodwork was ruined.