Honored Contributor

Re: Why people stockpile goods

@phluphy wrote:

Went to S/R this AM they still have plenty of TP, what is the big thing about people buying 8 to 10 large rolls of it??  Seems strange to me.  I number one don't have room for extra and what do I need to keep that much.  The store is close and I can shop everyday if I need something.  Seems like a panic mode...no need to do that.  IMO

The store is close and I can shop everyday if I need something.

That is great, when the world is normal. 

But if you loose your income, if you get sick and can't get out, if the supply chain is interrupted, you cannot necessarily get what you need. 

Having a stock of things on hand, actually helps during an event like this, in that you won't be out shorting the supply left. 

We stay stocked for one year on non perishable goods. During this event, I haven't had to go out and buy anything. I have done regular grocery shopping, mostly for fresh foods. 

Those who stay prepared are actually then not part of the problem in a crisis situation.

Honored Contributor

I normally have Clorox wipes on hand for use in the kitchen and bathrooms and a couple weeks ago I realized I was down to the last two canisters.  No problem I told DH; I'd get some when I went to Sam's Club.

Think again!  We live in a rural area, no instances of Coronavirus yet.  I never imagined that people would be buying up everything.

No Clorox wipes (or hand sanitizer) in Sam's Club, BJs, Walmart, CVS...the list goes on.  I had to go into another nearby town this morning and was getting something else at Target, so I wandered down to the cleaning area and there - on the shelf - was ONE multipack of Clorox wipes!  Actually, there were two, but I only took one and left the other for some other "seeker".

A store clerk said to me "You actually found those on the shelf!?"  Then another clerk said "I put hand sanitizer on the shelf this morning and in 20 minutes it was all gone."  I was warned to be careful walking out of the store with the Clorox wipes in case someone tried to take them off me.  (Let them try!)

I understand people are worried, but this is getting out of hand, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to Sam's Club today and they did not have tp, paper towels. They had Kleenex but very few packages. People were loading their baskets with water. When they got to the checkout, they were only permitted to buy 2.  They had no hand sanitizer. 

I went to Target and bought paper towels. They had no toilet paper or hand sanitizer.I then went to King Soopers and they had toilet paper. They had small packages with 4 per pack; limit 5.

I have never seen so many bare shelves. I can understand why people are panicking when they see no supplies. I sure hope this ends sooner rather than later.

Respected Contributor

I would say people stockpile because it is on sale and won't go bad.  I only like one brand of tp and it is not on sale all the time so I only buy it on sale where I always buy it so I didn't need to run out and buy it now.   plus I use it as Kleenex too. and I think other people do the same thing.

Honored Contributor

I always keep a 6+ months supply of non-perishable items.  Several months for frozen.  A few weeks for perishable...depending.  I can keep grapes for example up to 4 weeks.  Green bananas in the refrigerator 3 weeks.

I did buy two bottles of concentrated Lysol cleaning solution last week each making 20 gallons; however, I don't think two bottles is stockpiling.  

Many shoppers are worried about supply shortages, companies unable to meet the demand, the reason why they are buying so much now.  Georgia Pacific, for example, makes 4 brands, two that are best selling toilet papers, Angel Soft and Quilted Northern, in Mexico.  If that country is hit hard with Covid-19, maybe Georgia Pacific won't be able to make enough for U.S. grocery stores.  I suspect other companies make theirs outside the U.S., too, probably some in China.

We never know when something might happen...this virus a good example.  I call it being wise...not stockpiling.  

Honored Contributor

I would think there would be enough of everything back on the shrelves by now  ..... all the really SERIOUS stockpilers bought everything they needed two weeks ago!

Respected Contributor

You might think that, but after the Pan-Demic announcement there's a Whole new Crop of 'em.

It's like that quote from the movie Men in Black.  where Agent K says "A PERSON is smart.  PEOPLE are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." 

I do believe there's a kernel of truth to that.

Esteemed Contributor

I think there has been reasonable, prudent "stocking up", some panic buying and certainly some unwarranted hoarding.  People react the way the stock market has.  Every piece of bad news creates a new wave of panic.

Personally I have been picking up two or three items a day which I can easily bring home so that if I am impacted I'll be ready.  (I have no more space to store toilet paper.)

Trusted Contributor

The toilet paper stockpiling is a global phenomenon.  

It started in China.  I bet people heard rumors that toilet paper would be limited, said to themselves "this is nuts, but me (a sensible person) had better stock up before the crazies make it a self fulfilling prophesy."

And all the people in all the other countries fell in line and stockpiled toilet paper after seeing what happened in China!  Probably muttering all the time "darn crazies, making me do this."  Lol

Respected Contributor

I just placed my Walmart order online and they have no toilet paper to buy!

I got everything else and luckily I have a new pkg from a few weeks ago but still...that doesn't last long.