Respected Contributor

Why people stockpile goods

[ Edited ]

Just deleted the link to the CNBC story quoting "experts" on psychology of stockpiling in view of the virus or similar situations

QVC probably wouldn't let the link remain because of ads, but interested people can find the stockpiling story and many others at CNBC.com.

Heard  just a while ago on TV that Walmart has ordered twice as much sanitizer as it did this time last year.  I believe I heard that WM orders the stuff from France.  Who knew?

Respected Contributor

Re: Why people stockpile goods

I just returned from Costco and saw hundreds of people shopping.  I saw no panic buying.  People may have been stocking up on essentials but I saw no hoarding.  Many people only had a few items and then were gone.

This was my 2nd trip and I only bought things I could easily use in the next 6 mos.  I never stock up because my grocery is just up the street, but I may get stuck at home for a couple of weeks.

Honored Contributor

Stockpiling does not fit into my monthly budget.  Guess we have one month's supply on hand.

Honored Contributor

People who live from pay check to pay check are not in a position to stock pile goods. We don't have a Walmart in my town, I have to go into the city to shop. I was at Walmart Monday and there were few customers in the store.No one was wearing a mask, I guess no one is sick. I noticed people are staying away from each other and no coughing. The shelves were only missing disenfectant wipes, they still had some toilet paper. 

Honored Contributor

If everyone just took what they needed... there would be plenty for everyone.... stockpiling goods is very selfish and self serving. Too bad people have to act like animals.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

France has imposed strict price controls on hand sanitizer as coronavirus panic-buying sends prices soaring.

Images of empty shelves and inflated online prices spread across social media as pharmacists complained of a surge in wholesale prices.

Stories can be found at BusinessInsider.com

Respected Contributor

More from BusinessInsider.com

Coronavirus panic has led to shoppers stockpiling goods — but not all of them are necessary to have on hand.

Business Insider spoke with two experts to find out which wildly popular prepper items you don't need to stockpile, from toilet paper to hand sanitizer.

The main takeaway: Don't go overboard. Most supplies need to last only the 14 days of a quarantine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw that. Why would people not stockpile goods. We have no idea what's going to happen. We have never been through this before. Our government is not doing their jobs. States are having to try to figure out how to deal with this. People want to know the truth vs the lies we are being told. With all this going on I'm sure some goods will be hard to get. Prices will also go up so stock up now. We will also be in a Recession this year.

Esteemed Contributor

Went to Sams on Saturday at 11am and they were completely out of t.p. (they got their shipment on Saturday morning).  Then went to Target (they still had t.p.).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

Went to Sams on Saturday at 11am and they were completely out of t.p. (they got their shipment on Saturday morning).  Then went to Target (they still had t.p.).

@patbz 

I stocked up. Bought two 80 roll cases of tp. LOL!!! At least when they start putting a limit on how much tp you can buy we can stay ahead of it. Woman Very Happy