Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why must we always be “brave?”

@LilacTree wrote:

I do agree he, and and anyone else, should do what he wants to do, and I should not judge him.  I apologize for singling him out, that was wrong.

on the whole, I guess I just don’t understand the concept that anyone facing such a diagnosis feels he/she has to be “brave” about it.  It’s bad enough knowing one’s days are numbered, but then to have to pretend on top of that doesn’t seem right to me either.

Everyones days are numbered.  Some people just have a better estimate than others.  Some will fight for more others will enjoy the ones they have, both are equally brave for living life how they wish.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I deleted my post, so here is what i think, the op  has been through lots with her health, perhaps being brave ,can wear on ones nerves,over time ,take  to mind what she has been through.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Alex Trebeck is a well-known person; therefore his announcement and plans to fight AND his asking for prayers would be made public.

We do not know what goes on behind closed doors; I am sure this diagnosis has shaken him and his family to the core.

His upbeat attitude, as a public persona, can give hope to others.  The rest of us who face loved ones with terminal illnesses will always be in the background, hoping for cures, hoping for the best, doing what we can day to day.

"I get knocked down, but I get up again-you're never going to keep me down". -Tubthumping by Chumbawamba

Go get 'em, Alex.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

His statement said that he is "fighting" the cancer and various coverage states that he is "brave".

As someone who is actively undergoing treatment, I find BOTH of these words offensive.

I am neither brave nor fighting anything.  I just want the comfort of living for a time as I wish.

Trusted Contributor

I believe everyone fighting cancer is brave. Right up to the moment they beat it or it beats them.
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

My father died of pancreatic cancer. He chose not to "fight" if you will via the drugs, the radiation, etc. He lived his life as he chose to until one day, he felt so bad that he asked to be taken to the hospital. 5 days later, I took him off life support. He was surrounded by those he loved. That's how he wanted it . Was he brave? I think so. I think anyone who knows they are going to die but not exactly when and continues living life as they choose is brave. 

Both your father and you were very brave.

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

His statement said that he is "fighting" the cancer and various coverage states that he is "brave".

As someone who is actively undergoing treatment, I find BOTH of these words offensive.

I am neither brave nor fighting anything.  I just want the comfort of living for a time as I wish.

@Still Raining  I’m so sorry that you have such an aweful illness and if our comments offended you. I hope you are able to live as you wish for a very long time. God bless.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I deleted my post, so here is what i think, the op  has been through lots with her health, perhaps being brave ,can wear on ones nerves,over time ,take  to mind what she has been through.

@goldensrbest 

You’re right, Golden’s, I have internalized too much for this forum.  Perhaps I am not quite ready to post yet, because I’m at the age and level of health when one counts their years left in single digits, if one is lucky.  I’m willing to admit it scares me, and I’m always thinking I should be braver.

again I apologize to all I have offended.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Mindboggling OP's comments. Having experienced illness one would think she would have thought carefully before such a post. IMO!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  My thoughts exactly.  Could hardly believe what the OP said.  It's his life and I know nothing about how he has lived it.  Prayers for Alex.  He's a class act.