Respected Contributor

Re: Why must we always be “brave?”

Not sure why you don't think he is spending time with his family.  I believe they tape 5 or more shows in a day.  He is probably only working one day a week.....think that leaves plenty of time to be with his family.  He should (as we all should) spend are time doing what makes us happiest regardless of what the judgy people think.

Honored Contributor

He has been working long past average retirement age, and I'm sure he has plenty of money.  So my assumption is he loves what he's doing;.  More power to him.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

Alex Trebek just announced he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  He intends to keep on working and vows to “beat this thing.”  He is being lauded for being “brave.”

In my opinion he should, instead, spend these precious days with his family, who probably haven’t seen much of him in the last 40 years.  Be brave for them, not his TV audience.

@LilacTree 

I think your assumptions about time he's spent over the years with his family are incorrect.

I read some interviews and articles last year when there was talk of him retiring.

He's been married to his 2nd wife for about 29 or 30 years.

His favorite past time is being home with family and tinkering around the house fixing things according to him and according to his kids.

Honored Contributor

Good grief, this is such a mean and cruel post that it doesn't even warrant a response.  

Respected Contributor

No one should be told how to live OR how to die.

My mantra is:   

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

~hunter s. Thompson~

Honored Contributor

I do agree he, and and anyone else, should do what he wants to do, and I should not judge him.  I apologize for singling him out, that was wrong.

on the whole, I guess I just don’t understand the concept that anyone facing such a diagnosis feels he/she has to be “brave” about it.  It’s bad enough knowing one’s days are numbered, but then to have to pretend on top of that doesn’t seem right to me either.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

When I heard Alex's announcement.... I wondered why he wanted to continue working.... but I had to remember that he has to choose his own way to face this journey.  

I know that he will have a tough time.... and I wish him well.  

I believe my choice would be to spend my last days doing things I love.... but maybe working is what he loves?  

I know I wish him peace.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

I do agree he, and and anyone else, should do what he wants to do, and I should not judge him.  I apologize for singling him out, that was wrong.

on the whole, I guess I just don’t understand the concept that anyone facing such a diagnosis feels he/she has to be “brave” about it.  It’s bad enough knowing one’s days are numbered, but then to have to pretend on top of that doesn’t seem right to me either.

Jmo I don't think it's fair assumption that he's "pretending" or others are though. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe that IS how he is being brave.

I thought his post was so encouraging and hope that if I had a devastating diagnosis like that, I would have the same great spirit.

I wouldn't ever assume how much love and time he gets to spend with his family, and also doing what he loves.

I salute you Alex Tribeck!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Pretending?

Should he lock himself in his bedroom and just wait to die? 

I can't even imagine what he and his family are facing right now.