Honored Contributor

Re: Why just keep complaining? DO Something!

Smaug/Gato - I love your bunny!!

Trusted Contributor

The moderation is the moderation. I agree to their TOS by registering and remaining. There are plenty of other options out there for more stimulating discussion.

The design is not hard at all to learn (for me), though there are many features I personally find of no interest. I don't have to use them. I miss a few that we used to enjoy. Perhaps they'll bring them back.

The functionality, though ... especially for mobile-device users is what is severely limiting my time here. Had I known I was to become a beta-tester, I would have at least requested a few more easy pays. Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what others have said, the last redesign of the forums was in c. 2004.  They were overdue for change, and it appears they had this design planned when the shopping side of the site was revamped (which also was unpopular, to say the least).  Using the same format for more than 10 years does create a sense of comfort and it’s that much harder when change comes.  Natural growing pains.  However, this was a huge change for both the site users and the support staff, and it was introduced suddenly, filled with problems.  Some are technical problems, and (in my opinion) some are a result of the failure to allow seasoned posters beta test the platform and help the techs tweak the system before the official launch.

Now we have an imbroglio.  A mess.  As someone said last week, we see complaints.  And complaints about those who complain.  And complaints about those complaining about those who complain.  And in the process, we get to “enjoy” personal jabs.  Seems to me a moderate amount of complaining is normal, even healthy.  When followed up by practical suggestions, it’s even better.   However, it's human nature to grow weary of constant complaints which seem to be endless and repetitive, so that's probably causing additional friction.

But why do we as posters choose to try and mock or ridicule each other, make fun of people sharing their suggestions and offering methods of getting the attention of the PTB… ?  I’ve come to think there must be some sort of adrenalin rush associated with internet mockery, meanness, sarcasm and insults.   And it’s worse when group-think starts up, because mob mentality can generate some unpleasantness that’s actually uncharacteristic of the individual attackers when they operate on their own. 

As I said on another thread, we’re not robots. We’re not toys to bat around on the net.  The end result of the unpleasantness?  Some posters actually do feel pain from being attacked, so the damage is done to them.  Also, the attackers show the world their true character, so the damage is done to them.   And in the process, some of the onlookers feel the damage, too.

As the quote says, "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~RedHaircrow.  This applies to all of us.  Every d—n one of us.

I hope the PTB are reading the threads and will get their act in gear to make some changes that the majority of posters feel would be necessary and welcome.  But, honestly, I don’t hold out any hope for all of us to treat one other civilly.  That ship has probably sailed.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I agree DoobDoo, 

I don't really have a problem with them removing post. What I do not like, is the mocking that seems to go on here daily. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with this part of your post, particularly, dooBdoo

But why do we choose to try and mock or ridicule each other, make fun of people sharing their suggestions and offering methods of getting the attention of the PTB… ? I’ve come to think there must be some sort of adrenalin rush associated with internet mockery, meanness, sarcasm and insults. And it’s worse when group-think starts up, because mob mentality can generate some unpleasantness that’s actually uncharacteristic of the individual attackers when they operate on their own.

I made a valid suggestion based on what the Q mods even posted here to do, and yet look at the response. No surprise, quite frankly. I am not telling anyone to do anything, just offering a suggestion if they want to get the mod's attention. whatever. The Q has to come back with the ignore button. It worked well for me so I didn't have to deal with annoying posters.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you DBD for such a reasoned post. I posted this elsewhere but am bringing it over here:

Just because they gave you a keyboard and title of moderator doesn't give you the right to attack, insult, and humilate your users. I'm stunned at some of the words used by moderators to justify removing a thread. We're not your enemy and treating us thusly is creating a charged atmosphere that's ugly contentionous, and stressful. Those of us asking the moderators to take a step back and a bit of a time out to reflect on how their moderation is affecting the atmosphere here are doing everyone a favor. This of course it just my opinion.

I've poked fun at QVC over the years and at moderators these past few weeks (I still giggle at a post being poofed for "tone"--I can see my mother wagging her finger at my 14 year old self) but I honestly mean well and I think my many years here have shown that I'm not a trouble maker. But unfair is unfair. Others have described moderation as "heavy-handed." I would agree and add "uneven" and "unbalanced." I'm seeing posts where some, who are QVC cheerleaders, are calling others "stupid" "losers" "pathetic" and other lovely adjectives and getting away with it just fine.

QVC, by the storm-trooper way in which they rolled out their new moderation protocol, has now created a new kind of drama here on these fora--the "Us vrs. Them" daily smackdowns between two tranches of posters. I, personally, am over it.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

OP, I'm amazed at how bent out of shape people get over minor things.  Someone said she was in tears.  Literally, in tears!  Over a forum; when your family is alive and well, and you are in good health!

I don't know who you're referring to but maybe this person is alone, a shut in, without family. For some people the boards is their only contact with the outside world. You're only seeing their words. You don't know their situation. 

Praise the Lord . Someone with a kind word, understanding heart, showing love  and compassion for those who come here for so many different reasons.

You said it best. I so agree with you.

Thank you for saying what some of have been thinking. I hope everone takes it to heart, especially when they go to post.

Blessings to you.

Trusted Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

Thank you DBD for such a reasoned post. I posted this elsewhere but am bringing it over here:

Just because they gave you a keyboard and title of moderator doesn't give you the right to attack, insult, and humilate your users. I'm stunned at some of the words used by moderators to justify removing a thread. We're not your enemy and treating us thusly is creating a charged atmosphere that's ugly contentionous, and stressful. Those of us asking the moderators to take a step back and a bit of a time out to reflect on how their moderation is affecting the atmosphere here are doing everyone a favor. This of course it just my opinion.

I've poked fun at QVC over the years and at moderators these past few weeks (I still giggle at a post being poofed for "tone"--I can see my mother wagging her finger at my 14 year old self) but I honestly mean well and I think my many years here have shown that I'm not a trouble maker. But unfair is unfair. Others have described moderation as "heavy-handed." I would agree and add "uneven" and "unbalanced." I'm seeing posts where some, who are QVC cheerleaders, are calling others "stupid" "losers" "pathetic" and other lovely adjectives and getting away with it just fine.

QVC, by the storm-trooper way in which they rolled out their new moderation protocol, has now created a new kind of drama here on these fora--the "Us vrs. Them" daily smackdowns between two tranches of posters. I, personally, am over it.

I have not seen a single example of an "attack", "insult" or attempt to "humiliate" posters by moderators. I may be wrong and would seriously like to get an example. 

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

From what others have said, the last redesign of the forums was in c. 2004.  They were overdue for change, and it appears they had this design planned when the shopping side of the site was revamped (which also was unpopular, to say the least).  Using the same format for more than 10 years does create a sense of comfort and it’s that much harder when change comes.  Natural growing pains.  However, this was a huge change for both the site users and the support staff, and it was introduced suddenly, filled with problems.  Some are technical problems, and (in my opinion) some are a result of the failure to allow seasoned posters beta test the platform and help the techs tweak the system before the official launch.

Now we have an imbroglio.  A mess.  As someone said last week, we see complaints.  And complaints about those who complain.  And complaints about those complaining about those who complain.  And in the process, we get to “enjoy” personal jabs.  Seems to me a moderate amount of complaining is normal, even healthy.  When followed up by practical suggestions, it’s even better.   However, it's human nature to grow weary of constant complaints which seem to be endless and repetitive, so that's probably causing additional friction.

But why do we choose to try and mock or ridicule each other, make fun of people sharing their suggestions and offering methods of getting the attention of the PTB… ?  I’ve come to think there must be some sort of adrenalin rush associated with internet mockery, meanness, sarcasm and insults.   And it’s worse when group-think starts up, because mob mentality can generate some unpleasantness that’s actually uncharacteristic of the individual attackers when they operate on their own. 

As I said on another thread, we’re not robots. We’re not toys to bat around on the net.  The end result of the unpleasantness?  Some posters actually do feel pain from being attacked, so the damage is done to them.  Also, the attackers show the world their true character, so the damage is done to them.   And in the process, some of the onlookers feel the damage, too.

As the quote says, "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~RedHaircrow.  This applies to all of us.  Every d—n one of us.

I hope the PTB are reading the threads and will get their act in gear to make some changes that the majority of posters feel would be necessary and welcome.  But, honestly, I don’t hold out any hope for all of us to treat one other civilly.  That ship has probably sailed.

DooBdoo, as usual, you are so eloquent... I started a thread on Pet Lovers yesterday about birds, weather and my cats, one of which I recently lost.  It took me two months before I dared to post anything about her (my avatar).  She touched my heart in ways that I can't even describe and I can still barely manage to talk about it, so I came here and posted as though nothing had happened because I couldn't write it down.  I knew if I said anything about it, someone could and probably would use it against me.  But I made the mistake of posting about it, and yes, someone said something ridiculing my thread and those of us who choose to post about our pets and the simple wonderful things in life.  It was an offensive and sarcastic remark on a Fashion thread that had to refer directly to what I posted.  

So I got off the boards last night because I didn't want to say something that would get me banned.  This is the first time I've been back (I wanted to check on something else and saw your post).  The callousness of some posters on these boards is just not to be believed.  I felt like I needed someone to tie my hands last night to keep me from saying something I would regret and would get me kicked off the forums.  So I'm staying away for now, I may be back in a couple of days, and I may not.  I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed posting with you and so many good and kind people here, and how much I respect all of you who manage to stay here and post without hurting anyone else. 

ETA:  For those who apparently think it's "stupid" for anyone to have their feelings hurt on an anonymous board, if someone's feelings are already "raw" for whatever reason, insensitive and sarcastic remarks DO hurt... and if a person has any humanity they wouldn't do that to another human being on purpose.  I'm done. 

Trusted Contributor

kittymomNC wrote

DooBdoo, as usual, you are so eloquent... I started a thread on Pet Lovers yesterday about birds, weather and my cats, one of which I recently lost.  It took me two months before I dared to post anything about her (my avatar).  She touched my heart in ways that I can't even describe and I can still barely manage to talk about it, so I came here and posted as though nothing had happened because I couldn't write it down.  I knew if I said anything about it, someone could and probably would use it against me.  But I made the mistake of posting about it, and yes, someone said something ridiculing my thread and those of us who choose to post about our pets and the simple wonderful things in life.  It was an offensive and sarcastic remark on a Fashion thread that had to refer directly to what I posted.  

So I got off the boards last night because I didn't want to say something that would get me banned.  This is the first time I've been back (I wanted to check on something else and saw your post).  The callousness of some posters on these boards is just not to be believed.  I felt like I needed someone to tie my hands last night to keep me from saying something I would regret and would get me kicked off the forums.  So I'm staying away for now, I may be back in a couple of days, and I may not.  I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed posting with you and so many good and kind people here, and how much I respect all of you who manage to stay here and post without hurting anyone else. 

Oh, kittymomNC, that is unforgiveable! I am so sorry that you were subjected to that. Just know that there are very many of us here that would grieve as you have our beloved fur babies and that we grieve with you. Heart

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In