Honored Contributor

Re: Why is this saying offensive?

@151949 wrote:

Wow 46 answers in just a few min. but yet none of them explain why this saying is so meaningful as to reach the level of being offended by it. 

I use this saying to end spats with my DH all the time - when I just don't want to spar with him over something I say  Remember, happy wife - happy life or sometimes "You still haven't learned - happy wife , happy life." He'll usually say - I GOTTA come up with a something about happy husbands ! 

You've had a LOT of very specific answers about why people find this offensive.  Go back and read them.

I think part of the reason might be that someone would use this to hold it over someone else's head.   We're all people and I don't think anyone should expect people to bow down to them because they are a "wife".  That's silly.

Respected Contributor

I love the saying...use it a lot...in fact my hubby agrees with the statement....doens't mean he caters to my every whim...we're both smart enough to know that misery loves company and if one person in the home is miserable there's a good chance the misery will spread....IMO the saying is cute...and not meant to be mean spirited.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Its just a cute joke and/or saying.  People get offended anymore at anything.  Its real tiresome and makes one afraid to talk to anyone.  What a shame.

Honestly - on this board people get offended at everything! Heck I think they are offended that the sun comes up each day. It's a word they use for everything and I doubt those saying it even really understand what being offended means.

@151949Yes and think back to how often some come here and post about how offended they are over something trivial that happened to them.  That seems to be a recurrent theme too doesn't it?  Good point you make.  Lots of those stories are over nothing to be offended over.

Honored Contributor

Sharke:  Sometimes we (women) have to put our foot down in the beginning; otherwise, it gets out of hand.    I recall having a boyfriend (a hundred years ago) who had a habit of watching car races on TV on the loud setting.  He would not turn the volume down.  'No way, no how'.   No matter who, what, why, etc.   I can still hear the loud sound of loud mosquitos buzzing 'round and 'round.  Needless to say, I 'dumped' him, lol.  And he seriously couldn't figure out why. Which proved my point. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Its just a cute joke and/or saying.  People get offended anymore at anything.  Its real tiresome and makes one afraid to talk to anyone.  What a shame.

Honestly - on this board people get offended at everything! Heck I think they are offended that the sun comes up each day. It's a word they use for everything and I doubt those saying it even really understand what being offended means.

You mean like dogs in the grocery stores? @151949?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'Come to think about it', almost every single sentence/saying known to human kind could be considered offensive to someone out there...........'There's just no winning' now-a-days.   p.s.  (I originally wrote 'mankind', but that would have been offensive, I'm only guessing.)

I agree Romary....seems far too many are always looking to be offended....we have grown into a generation of softness....not that there is anything wrong with a degree of softness but not if it means losing sight of what is truly  an important issue.  I honestly believe we should not sweat the little stuff...waste of energy.  

Honored Contributor

p.s.  I'm not completely crazy about any sayings on the front of tee shirts, etc.  But, as I've said before, I'd like a smaller saying on one side, near the shoulder.......maybe something like 'Lucky stars' with a scattering of one or two large stars and a few small stars falling down.  Or a half moon with a few stars saying something like 'Fly me to the moon'  or 'Let me play among the stars'.   Well, just my opinion, of course, right or wrong.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I won't wear a tshirt with a saying on it.   The print usually lays across an area that I want to draw the least attention to.  

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

On threads discussing the TSV some people are saying they find the saying "happy wife , happy life" offensive. OK - I don't get what is offensive about that. 

It implies that no one except the mother has the power in the family and if she isn't happy she will make everyone elses life miserable?

I don't know.Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Although, on second thought, we've seen some women post about how they treat their husbands where maybe that saying WOULD be applicable!  Woman Embarassed  'Ya think?