Honored Contributor

Re: Why is this saying offensive?

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Its just a cute joke and/or saying.  People get offended anymore at anything.  Its real tiresome and makes one afraid to talk to anyone.  What a shame.

Honestly - on this board people get offended at everything! Heck I think they are offended that the sun comes up each day. It's a word they use for everything and I doubt those saying it even really understand what being offended means.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Is Spencer's Gifts still around? Remember them? They sell/sold offensive tee shirts and other crazy items, when I was a teen they were very popular. 

@JaneMarple

we have a spencers gifts in our mall. we also have a store called hot topic that has similar items.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It is just a silly saying, but I do agree that it reinforces gender stereotypes. I think the notion that anyone should be catered to in a marriage should have gone out of fashion ages ago..

How about wife and husband (or wife and wife husband and husband) find their own individual happiness and their partnership just enhances that? 

I don't find it offensive, just outdated.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@151949 oh that's a good one HH!  You got me!  Lol

Esteemed Contributor

So foolish. There are so many problems on this planet that criticizingna humorous aphorism is a waste of time.

Valued Contributor

coasters.JPG

My coasters

Honored Contributor

Every time somebody posts how happy they are that their husband is retiring I have to skip that thread. I'm happy for them if they want their husband home every day 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

As for me it will be 'War of the Roses' all over again. (movie) Mine is semi retired and he drives me nuts when he's off those days. When day comes he's sitting around the house full time till the good Lord calls us to our reward I will be miserable.  I can't post my thoughts because I will be labeled "what kind of woman is this", blah, blah, so, I just think good luck and read another thread.

Everybody has their own situation, but, I'm not looking forward to that day.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Every time somebody posts how happy they are that their husband is retiring I have to skip that thread. I'm happy for them if they want their husband home every day 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

As for me it will be 'War of the Roses' all over again. (movie) Mine is semi retired and he drives me nuts when he's off those days. When day comes he's sitting around the house full time till the good Lord calls us to our reward I will be miserable.  I can't post my thoughts because I will be labeled "what kind of woman is this", blah, blah, so, I just think good luck and read another thread.

I have a friend who won't quit her job because she doesn't want to be at home with her retired husband who is mostly a homebody.  If she should need to retire for health reasons, I am hoping they can be happy.

Respected Contributor

"Happy wife, happy life" implies that the husband had better keep "THE Wife" happy or else he is scre*ed. It's dated, it reeks of old-fashioned gender stereotypes and is therefore insulting to both men and women.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I have a friend who won't quit her job because she doesn't want to be at home with her retired husband who is mostly a homebody.  If she should need to retire for health reasons, I am hoping they can be happy.

I hope they can too. She can take mine in too , I'll pay her. LOL

Mine's always underfoot, goes thru the trash when he sees me pitching something in there and takes it out and says I can use this for this and that. Out it goes to the garage more hoarding. Meals have to be on the table at exactly the right time. When he's home I never get to see the ending of Dr. Phil.  He gets the mail , so, I won't have a chance to pitch stuff I don't want him to see because he sends money to every little crying come on there is. Tell him to do something, yeah, he will, but, week later.   Makes messes all thru the house and I have to come along and anticipate everything he does, so, I can be there to clean up his latest mess because he won't clean up after himself.

Ballgames on 3 TV's, one computer and the Roku box all at same time

Either Rangers or Yankees. Then, he gripes if I watch Dr. Phil. He gets mad and stomps outside. LOL

Yes, I feel better and thank you for letting me vent. ROFL