Honored Contributor

Re: Why is this saying offensive?

@beckyb1012 wrote:

There is not a thing in the world wrong with it and I have not been a wife for over 18 years but that was so true then and I am sure in most homes today. 

The other old saying I always liked and thought was true was "if Mama ain't happy then no one is happy." 

Is it really OK that if "Mama ain't happy",  she has the right to make everyone else miserable? In what universe?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

Is Spencer's Gifts still around? Remember them? They sell/sold offensive tee shirts and other crazy items, when I was a teen they were very popular. 

@JaneMarple   OH my yes!  Hadn't thought about them in years!!!!  I love the saying on your post!  It is so very true.  Take this day and love it!  It will never come again.  Don't waste it!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

It kind of reminds me of that other saying...If momma aint happy nobody is" or something along like line.  I know people say it in jest to be funny so I don't really get offended but I would NEVER  wear it proudly on my chest.  For those that like it....you realize if they come out for one with "daddy" (or husband) you have to grin and bear it! What's good for the goose is good for the gander!!!

I don't like it if it refers to wives or women in general. I don't base my happiness on what my husband says or does & we'll be married 48 yrs. in August. If Daddy ain't happy....tough. Not my fault. 

If Daddy ain't happy...tough not my fault.LOLThat shirt I would wear.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Is Spencer's Gifts still around? Remember them? They sell/sold offensive tee shirts and other crazy items, when I was a teen they were very popular. 

@JaneMarple   OH my yes!  Hadn't thought about them in years!!!!  I love the saying on your post!  It is so very true.  Take this day and love it!  It will never come again.  Don't waste it!

We still have a Spenser's Gifts in our mall!

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I don't care one way or another.  I think it's just a sign of the times (I'm 70) that it is necessary to wear a few words plastered on a T-Shirt how you feel or think......

I think it's much different than going way back to when my now 40 year old daughters wanted to wear shirts that said "Jordache".  I said, "I'm not paying money to advertise some person's clothing.  You want the shirt.  Get a job and buy it with your own money".

They did get jobs for the summer but when they were paying for it, they decided they didn't need the shirt after all.

My point is it doesn't make sense to me but if someone feels the need to plaster on their chest their feelings, so for it.  I'd rather spend my money some other ways.....

Well said, as usual. When did we start to "need" logos on clothing to tell us what to believe, and why is it necessary to tell everyone?

Btw I, too, told my kids I'm not paying for advertising on your chest or butt.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think it is simply characteristic of the old stereotypes of races, religions, genders etc. that should go away for good.  If we looked at people as individuals we wouldn't have a good many of the problems we have today.

And by identifying with groups you let yourself in to be a victim of these things.  I am sick of "As a woman.   .  ."  You are a person, demand that people take you as one and they will.  Stop playing the gender card when you think the world owes you something because "as a woman" you are different.

We'll never get past this stuff until we take ourselves there.  And I do mean OURSELVES!

I do get your point...to a point. Not to be crude, but our genitals do make us women and we do have special gifts, responsibilities and abilities (giving birth among them). That doesn't make me any less or any more a woman. I am still MYSELF. 

Honored Contributor

My feelings don't even amount to a hill of beans- that saying doesn't mean squat to me cause I don't pay much attention to it, plus I don't find it to be offensive.  It's just a sayin'..  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

There is not a thing in the world wrong with it and I have not been a wife for over 18 years but that was so true then and I am sure in most homes today. 

The other old saying I always liked and thought was true was "if Mama ain't happy then no one is happy." 

Is it really OK that if "Mama ain't happy",  she has the right to make everyone else miserable? In what universe?

I know my crew went running for cover when I came home with a really bad haircut back in 1984. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I don't find it offensive, I just find it ridiculous... No one, simply because they're a wife, should expect to be kowtowed to and no one, just because they're a husband, should expect to have to kowtow to their wife simply to preserve peace in the home... It's antiquated and reinforces gender stereotypes that are antiquated... Personally, any man wimpy enough to subscribe to this little ditty is not a man I'd find very interesting or for whom I'd have much use... Partnerships are supposed to be just that: partnerships...

True, but sometimes we need a sense of humor-from an old feminist ( happily married 40+ years).

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I know my crew went running for cover when I came home with a really bad haircut back in 1984. 

Woman LOL

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson