Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why is this saying offensive?

Happy wife,

Happy life.

It says to husbands: Don't be someone who places obstacles between your wife and her happiness, instead, be the one who helps to remove them.

Your efforts will benefit both of you.

My FIL lived (very happily) by these words.

Honored Contributor

@sim2222 wrote:

I hear that expression all the time. I am not offended. I think its a cute saying.

Why would anyone be offended by this expression?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone is looking at this from the female perspective, when it's more of a point of view of the male.   I'm a female sports fan and watch ESPN's Mike & Mike most mornings......and the hosts and their guests seem to think the saying (happy wife, happy life)  is true and relate personal stories to support it.....

For example, one guy was saying on Mother's Day his wife, his wife wanted to go out to dinner and she picked the restaurant and it was an ordinary mid priced restaurant chain and the husband wanted to treat her to something more expensive and special but she insisted so.........(insert the saying here)..........I think men share this concept with one another and pass it on as a life lesson to understanding women (or so they think)...(they cant figure women out at all or so they say) ..Woman LOL..even if it is outdated and wrong why correct the guys...LOL if it keeps harmony in the marriage/home/relationship that's what's important....people are just so PC these days........it's a joke!.....You may not laugh at the happy wife happy lif, but I bet you'll laugh at this:

“A man does what he can; a woman does what a man cannot.” Isabel Allende, Ines of My Soul............

And having said that I certainly believe that a woman does not need a man and/or kids to be happy or have a productive and interesting life!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Occasional Contributor

@151949 wrote:

On threads discussing the TSV some people are saying they find the saying "happy wife , happy life" offensive. OK - I don't get what is offensive about that. 

Hey! I have a tee shirt that says that...and it's the truth...lol!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i dont find it offensive.......i think it is funny!

it was kind of funny when teresa giudice said it on the rhonj......look what happened to them........

Haha!! That was the first time I ever heard this saying @sunshine45 and I always think about her spending like $50k CASH on furniture during that one episode. I remember thinking what moron would spend that much cash on tv for the IRS and the world to see. Even if it was a legit cash purchase, most people with an ounce of sense wouldn't want the world to know they carry that kind of cash around. Of course even bigger morons would have that filmed when it wasn't legit.

As to the phrase I don't really find it offensive but a little misogynistic and old fashioned. To me it implies that unless a woman is placated she becomes hysterical. However I realize it isn't necessarily always used in that way.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

In all fairness I read the other day about this woman writing to Ann Landers whoever it is now in the paper. She was asking how she could get her husband to take more then 2 baths a month ! she said "he really stinks down there". I shudder to think what she is going thru.

Mine is better about showering although he could be better, but, then, we women think you should shower 40 times a day. LOL

I console myself with always somebody worse off. Mine makes good money and I live well, so, I can shut my pie hole and be thankful I'm not like some poor women I see at the stores. I'm drawing his SS too. My sister in law's husband forbade her from drawing off of him because he thought it would lessen his benefit and his first wife drawed off of him he wasn't gonna let her draw too , so, the poor woman had to call from another house and draw off of her own tiny earnings and gets like 400 a month.   That wouldn't pay my Q bill LOL

If she would have just checked with the SS office she would have known he couldn't forbid her from anything, nor would if effect his. Why did she never check to see @SharkE?

Edited to add: Just noticed I misread, thought we were discussing her ex husband.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

It is not offensive to me but I don't understand a woman wearing it unless she is married to a woman.  It would seem more a saying for men to wear.