Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why is alcohol such a big part of so many peoples lives?

@Lvqfan wrote:

Everywhere I turn, someone has a wine glass in their hand.  Do they think because it's "just wine" it's not alcohol?  

Yup. So many people I know have told me they just have to have that glass of wine every day. I have no idea what that's like, I never, never touch alcohol. It seems to me like it's an escape for some people. And there are those who criticize sugar. Um..... what do they think wine is?! Maybe it's a social thing, but I like my liver healthy. 

Respected Contributor

Because they enjoy it...I don't don't drink because the smell turns my stomach, especially beer.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like wine.  My great grandfather and grandfather made wine.  I love going to wineries and I even volunteer to pour wine at wine festivals for a winery.   As long as people are being responsible in their consumption of alcohol I don't see any problem.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45  CHEERS!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm a fence sitter on this topic. Alcohol is a small part of my life. One to three drinks a week is my average. However, I've seen in others how too much drinking can result in the breakdown of families. I guess it all goes back to moderation in all aspects of our lives.

Respected Contributor

I do like a nice glass of Chianti with my Sunday pasta, but I can certainly do without it.  I never need a drink.  But hey, I do like a nice cold glass of milk with Bosco, too.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I think for some it's like a drug for making them happy and calming them down.  Then, there are those who are addicted.

Haven't had a drink since my 20's.  Never liked the taste or feeling it gave me.

However, I love Beatrice's fruitcake with rum, bourbon, and brandy and my rum cake.  Yum!

Same for me.   Many of my beef recipes are more tasty made with red wine.  And I love a good butter-lemon sauce made with a splash of sauvignon blanc.

Esteemed Contributor

I will go on record as saying that I firmly believe that NOTHING good comes from drinking anything alcoholic and I think the world would be a better place if it had never been invented. Period. My view has not been formed from any religious teaching or from having an alcoholic in my family or from ever having a drinking problem. I do have a brain, however, and I can observe the effects of alcohol. And, yes, I'm totally judgmental about this....For the same reasons, I'm against smoking....while we're on the topic.

Honored Contributor

For many people alcohol is the common denominator which ties people together for social events. Without it then people would not be interested otherwise.

Honored Contributor

@Lvqfan Don't waste time worrying about what others do. I don't. It's not your concern Smiley Happy