Esteemed Contributor

Why does Fed EX hand over packages to USPS?

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know why Fed Ex (And does UPS do this too?) hand over packages to the post office to deliver?

We dont always exchange gifts but I decided (last minute, over a week ago) and I ordered my husband an electronic gift in plenty of time, timing it so it would come when I am here and had no appts. this week. Tracked it yesterday that it was to come today, now it got handed over to the post office! UGH!...lol..

Wont be home Saturday "when mail comes", so now it will be on the porch in the cold, and hopefully it wont be stolen (havent had issues here yet but I intercept all packages). I just hope it doesnt get delayed till Monday yet too, that would be worse. Have to go get shots in my back an hour away (Monday) and will be gone for multiple hours.

So I was just wondering why they do this? Fed ex is too busy? Its less expensive for the stores?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Why does Fed EX hand over packages to USPS?

Yes UPS does this as well.  I believe it's cheaper and the shipper decides the shipping method.  However, there are times an items has been shipped UPS Surepost (which means a hand-off to USPS) but then tracking will show that they were going to be in the area so they are going to deliver anyhow.

Honored Contributor

I really hate this system, passing our stuff from one group then to another.  I've been by my post office who gets UPS del'ries as the trucks are there unloading.  It's insane. Does USPS get a good cut from these other carriers to have them switch some goods from them to USPS?  Sometimes our stuff doesn't get to us either or you get am email saying it's been delivered and you don't have it.  And maybe by chance it finally does show up a week later. 

It's really insane, makes tracking really difficult.

Honored Contributor

It's cheaper for FedEx (and UPS) because they don't have to have a truck come directly to your house, they can just drop it at the post office.  And if they have several of these packages, you can see where it would save them a lot.  Since it's cheaper for FedEx, then FedEx can give the shipper a discounted shipping rate.  Companies that offer free shipping often use this method.

Esteemed Contributor

Ok thanks for replying. I hope it gets here. Sometimes the postman doesnt bring as much  mail on Saturdays. Why that is I dont know. I just mentioned I was waiting for a delivery and was concerned and my husband said well if they dont bring it Saturday maybe it will come Sunday (because last week they brought one of his packages on Sunday since the USPS is now delivering Sundays too) At any rate I hope it gets here safely!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

I have never had a problem with fedex sure post or ups smartpost. Sometimes I even get it a day earlier because USPS delivers Mail on Saturdays. Just depends. Sometimes I have had more then one package coming ups the same day so ups just keeps it and delivers it instead of going to post office. The post office is already going to be at your house so it saves money. I ordered from Best Buy something on thanksgiving day. It was UPS SMART POST. I had it on Monday delivered by the post office. Super quick.
Trusted Contributor

To annoy us lol !

Honored Contributor

I remember hating these economical shipping options, but for some time now, I've noticed that they've improved. I'm getting mine on time, although all bets are off for any shipping method right now. Patience is the key.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It's annoying, I agree.  But if you look at it objectively, it's pretty freaking genius.  The person who came up with this strategy is probably living in a house on the beach somewhere drinking cocktails with umbrellas in them.

USPS has to go to just about every single house, 6 days a week.  So instead of having 4 (and lets not forget DHL) delivery systems going through every neighborhood in the country 5 days a week, UPS, FedEx and DHL can hand off deliveries to the main post offices in each jurisdiction and have USPS delivery the package the rest of the way.

This has got to be saving UPS, FedEx and DHL a TON of money, which can be passed on to retailers and other businesses and the USPS gets a cut of this and helps them grow their dying business.

Of course, the only losers here are us.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

It's a money saver for FEDEX and UPS by not having the drivers drive 10 miles out of the way to drop off a box numerous times a day.  I'm all for it IF it helps the financial situation with USPS.  I get the feeling my postal lady doesn't like it because of the way she handles my deliveries.