Honored Contributor

Re: Why do you think these ""House Wives"" shows are such a huge hit?

I had to stop watching. The fighting and the drama was getting to be a little too fake...

Honored Contributor

Women love to watch train wrecks--especially train wrecks that ""appear"" to have money and a lavish lifestyle.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

Maybe the watchers are living, vicariously, through the characters?!?! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Contributor

On 3/11/2014 gazelle77 said: Is it the fighting and the ugliness that is spewed out each week between these women? They fight, then go on a party trip to Mexico. Then they fight on that trip. It is really rather disgusting and awful....yet...I watch with fascination as they spiral out of control.... Ahhh I see the New York housewives are having their premier show tonight! Hold on to your hats! It's going to be another wonderful rocky ride!

The fans of these shows are a little bit catty themselves or they would not enjoy such entertainment. I have not seen the first of any of these shows and never will!

Contributor

On 3/11/2014 PurpleBunny said: They are fun because they are so NOT how people really live nor act.

What world do you live in?

Trusted Contributor

These so-called reality shows is part of the dumbing down of the American people. All the Housewife shows, The Bachelor/ette, Dancing with the Stars, all of that stuff. It's all trashy, flashy stuff with no meaning whatsoever. And as long as people continue to watch in awe, shows like these will continue to be produced. They're cheap to make and they make a lot of money with them. And the people who star in the shows get some sense of being "stars" or being part of the in crowd. It's the same thing with all the competitive shows on the Food Network. Why bother to learn something when it's so much more "fun" to watch people becoming hysterical because their cakes fell or their BBQ isn't up to snuff or they don't have (gasp!) the Voice?

The whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. I've pretty much given up on tv anymore.

Trusted Contributor

I admit, I have never watched one of these shows...but I have stopped while channel surfing to see the screaming.

Absolutely ridiculous. These shows are so staged it is beyond comprehension. Why dopeople watch? Who knows. Curiosity?

Honored Contributor

On 3/12/2014 winamac1 said:

Women love to watch train wrecks--especially train wrecks that "appear" to have money and a lavish lifestyle.

I have to agree!

When Bravo first created the original RHOOC show, they still were a fairly "highbrow" network.

Inside the Actor's Studio was an Hollywood as they got!

When we first started selling ads in the original show, it was billed as a documentary. The NY Times had a very flattering article about how it examined the lives of upper middle class housewives...not salacious at all.

Little by little, as Andy Cohen has taken over programming, the shows have devolved into major b@tchfests and celebrations of bad manners.

Respected Contributor

I think they are only a hit to those who watch....I tried watching one for about 30 minutes one day and wish I could get that 30 minutes back...complete waste of my time...but for those who enjoy the show then let them have it.

I think the appeal is about the same as watching daytime soap operas...only these are real soap operas played in front of them instead of the scripted ones on in the daytime.

Honored Contributor

On 3/12/2014 straykatz said:

I think they are only a hit to those who watch....I tried watching one for about 30 minutes one day and wish I could get that 30 minutes back...complete waste of my time...but for those who enjoy the show then let them have it.

I think the appeal is about the same as watching daytime soap operas...only these are real soap operas played in front of them instead of the scripted ones on in the daytime.

FYI - They are mostly scripted and fake.