Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why do you think QVC's sales are down for the fourth quarter of last year?

It is an old outdated model. 

Honored Contributor

I am sure the Q is not the only one.  Prices are high everywhere and people are not buying.  You know everyone is raising prices but it doesn't mean we have to buy,

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Inflation.  People are using their money for essentials i.e., food, mortgage, car.  Inflation is at 8%...people are expected to pay an extra $3,000 this year on food and gas.  The QVC products aren't feeding the family or getting them to work....which have become necessary priorities in today's world.

Honored Contributor

From the posts, I think the issue is the lack of variety in clothing choices.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

From the posts, I think the issue is the lack of variety in clothing choices.

@ECBG 

Well, QVC has to stay "middle of the road" with clothing styles to avoid a large number of returns. 

Also, they don't have anywhere near the "best" prices .... but, to be fair, they never promised that. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think customers are starting to "wake up" to the way QVC is selling their products.  They are starting to do their research and make purchases elsewhere.  I am still buying from QVC, but I am much more reserved in my purchases.

Obviously I can't speak for others, but here are my personal reasons and it could be part of why their sales are down:

1.  Shipping costs stop me.  I can find the same, if not similar items elsewhere for free shipping & handling.

2.  Pricing.  Yes, I know prices are up everywhere, but it's more than that with the Q.  The pricing is all over the place.  For example, if you look at Homeworx candles.  They sell newly released candles for different prices.  One set is $43, another is $46, another is $53.  Some have free shipping; others don't.  Why?  They are all new scents, released at the same time.  I also feel that their price increases are outrageous on some items.  Something I was looking at for $69 a few months ago is now $123.  The shipping went up to $12.50 as well.  WHY?  There have been numerous complaints about the crazy price increases on certain items.  Something is off and I don't think it has anything to do with the pandemic.

3. Pricing, Part II.  This has to do with the fact that the value is no longer there.  Many things that I have considered buying from QVC have been purchased elsewhere.  I have found the same exact items on Amazon or on the retailer's website for much cheaper prices (and no shipping) than what QVC is selling them for.  I now have to check multiple sites before making a purchase with QVC to make sure I'm really getting something at a good price.

4.  Same old items.  I love gardening and I always look forward to outdoor garden decor.  This year the new items are minimal, at best.  Yes, this could be because of shipping shortages, but I'm really not sure.

5. Advanced Orders that may or may not come.  So many things are on advanced orders in the last year.  I understand that this has to do with shipping shortages, but it's difficult to order something with the understanding that it will come at a certain time and then it doesn't.  There were SO many customer complaints about advanced orders that never came, got pushed back, and arrived way after the item was to be used (especially holiday items).  It's frustrating.

6. Quality.  I started buying from a particular clothing line a few months ago.  I really like the line, but the prices are super high.  I have been disappointed in the quality of material for the price I paid.  It's a hassle to send back most things (return shipping fees!), so I don't.  I'm much more selective now...  In non-clothing items, things come broken or they don't work/light up.  Workmanship is poor.  Sometimes things are sent to customers and they were very obviously defective before they went into the box.  Not cool.

I know my list is quite lengthy, but these are just my personal reasons.  As I said, I do still buy things from QVC.  However, it's not just a simple click for me anymore.  I find myself having to do a lot of research before making a purchase.  It shouldn't really have to be that way. 

Valued Contributor

The prices are ridiculously high here. If I can find an item locally, I prefer buying that way. When it comes to clothing, one cannot always find the variety of color or size or style locally. QVC has become too 'one note' now with not enough variety in their clothing lines, and I will not pay their exorbitant prices. They cater to only certain segments of the market. If that works for them, fine. I'll go elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

I would think the major loss of a huge distribution warehouse would put a dent in sales, disruption of business and service and loss of product.

Honored Contributor

Coupla reasons:

Prices are very high

I read a few comments here about issues w/delivery and do not want that.

So whats my point? I hardly ever order any more.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

If sales are down it's likely because many long time QVC customers are retired and don't have income to shop the way they did when they worked and their lifestyles have changed.   Also there is much more competition now.