Trusted Contributor

Re: Why do testimonial callers talk about their medical conditions, illness, or deaths?

On 8/17/2014 stilltamn8r said:

probably because they are unbelievably lonely, isolated, and feel a kinship with the hosts who may be the only voices they have in their lives...think about it...

Or perhaps they just have no boundaries or self control?

I agree. There are many lonely people in the world...and most of them ....that call anyway...are older.

I guess they feel they know the hosts and can talk to them about their problems.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why do testimonial callers talk about their medical conditions, illness, or deaths?

it is probably because they are lonely and do not have or discovered another outlet to talk about their issues.

People talk about their issues here all the time, how is that different?

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

oh no, last edited is coming back. and I didn't edit my post

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

People are lonely and have a connection to the hosts. Some have been watching for years and years.

Plus, I think they're so excited to be talking on air they don't realize what they're actually saying.

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 biancardi said:

Ugh...

Trusted Contributor

On 8/20/2014 biancardi said:

Don't you hate when that happens? It gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Hey, at least it shows someone is reading your posts!

Super Contributor

OK, I have a confession to make, unlike lot of posters,I really don't watch much QVC- I LOVe kitchen and cooking shows, and that is pretty much all I watch.

So, I "know" certain hosts, but not most of them- HOWEVER, I HAVE noticed that on many kitchen shows, convenience and ease of use are stressed in the presentation.

This leads to MANY callers, calling in with testimonials like "Hey, I have arthritis and this can opener is great for me" or, "I had shoulder surgery and I can easily lift this aluminum stock pot"-"My vision is poor and I can really read the numbers on that timer"-

These types of "medical complaints and descriptions", in my opinion, are warranted in a testimonial call, and not in the same category as some of the calls I believe we have been talking about here...

Honored Contributor

House_Cat started a thread in the Kitchen forum asking if she should buy a vacuum sealing device. This was kingofcool1947's response:

I vacuum sealed my GD pet hamster, Spunky, who suddenly died. It worked perfectly. We have spunky in our freezer in the garage.

{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Super Contributor

On 8/17/2014 kingofcool1947 said: Why is it that testimonial callers mention their medical conditions, illness, or deaths. I don't understand that behavior.

My guess is because they're old, lonely,don't have anyone else to talk to or possibly they're house-bound for some reason. Once in a while a drunk gets through, too. Or, remember years ago, late at night, when some young guy said he was buying a computer just so he could watch p*rn?

Super Contributor

On 8/20/2014 LipstickDiva said:

House_Cat started a thread in the Kitchen forum asking if she should buy a vacuum sealing device. This was kingofcool1947's response:

I vacuum sealed my GD pet hamster, Spunky, who suddenly died. It worked perfectly. We have spunky in our freezer in the garage.

{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Well, I would imagine GD stood for Grandaughter in that case....