Honored Contributor

Re: Why do posts go off the subject or turn mean?

@chiclet wrote:

It surprises me how someone can post and the responses that follow did not get the meaning of the original post and turn it into something else.  Or responses are so hateful.  It is like they can pick apart the topic and find something so negative to rage about.  I saw one post about the decline of home shopping and then it became out the original poster being disrepectful about the older generation.  I come on here to listen to different points of view and to get reviews and helpful information.  

@chiclet  Yes, I agree. Depending on the subject, I can usually guess who the offenders will be. 

Respected Contributor

Convos can go off the rails for something as simple as a poster who wants to talk about themselves instead of the topic.  Sometimes it's really annoying.  LOL

But an outright insult such as "Educate yourself!" which I've seen a few times, a rude assumption to make of a person's knowledge base, or "Spare me your opinion" which is another way of saying shut up -- these things are so unneccessary.   People don't think before they post because they get caught up in their own ego need.

We know this.  It's like watching someone struggle for air.  Sometimes it's smart to let them get their breath, sad as it is, rather than choke them off. 

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Only the SHADOW knows!!!       =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@chiclet  Yes, I agree. Depending on the subject, I can usually guess who the offenders will be. 

I agree - it's usually the same people. Sad

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Convos can go off the rails for something as simple as a poster who wants to talk about themselves instead of the topic.  Sometimes it's really annoying.  LOL

But an outright insult such as "Educate yourself!" which I've seen a few times, a rude assumption to make of a person's knowledge base, or "Spare me your opinion" which is another way of saying shut up -- these things are so unneccessary.   People don't think before they post because they get caught up in their own ego need.

We know this.  It's like watching someone struggle for air.  Sometimes it's smart to let them get their breath, sad as it is, rather than choke them off. 

Very thought-provoking, percipient post, @Free2be.   I agree with your observation.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It's kind of a shame that you are hard-pressed to have a grown up conversation here.    Invariably, one of the *stirrers will show up with some snarky one-liner in a thread where they have no interest, except to be rude.

Or they just want a fight.    It's unfortunate, but I feel kind of bad that they don't know how to feel better about themselves other than to try and tear down others.     

I wish people would try harder to ignore the obvious stirring or insults and let them stand as they are.  They say much more about the person saying them than they do about the people they are trying to hurt.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo  Thanks, doob.  Arguing with people is such a waste of time, isn't it? 

Not all of us are good with the typed word here, I'm usually too brief, leave too much room for misunderstandings, humor is often too dry.  I'd rather laugh at just about everything especially lately.  Well, most everyting. 

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@dooBdoo  Thanks, doob.  Arguing with people is such a waste of time, isn't it? 

Not all of us are good with the typed word here, I'm usually too brief, leave too much room for misunderstandings, humor is often too dry.  I'd rather laugh at just about everything especially lately.  Well, most everyting. 

You're welcome, @Free2be!   I'm "hearting" your post but want to clarify that I don't find you to be too brief, humor too dry, or that you leave too much room for misunderstandings.   I think we all just need to give one another more of the benefit of the doubt and be more forgiving.🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It's kind of a shame that you are hard-pressed to have a grown up conversation here.    Invariably, one of the *stirrers will show up with some snarky one-liner in a thread where they have no interest, except to be rude.

Or they just want a fight.    It's unfortunate, but I feel kind of bad that they don't know how to feel better about themselves other than to try and tear down others.     

I wish people would try harder to ignore the obvious stirring or insults and let them stand as they are.  They say much more about the person saying them than they do about the people they are trying to hurt.

Oh, I agree with that --- completely.

Honored Contributor

I think it has more to do with things going on with the poster than the topic.  They are having issues with health, family, spouse, etc and take it out on other posters.  I don't get involved in the drama.