Honored Contributor

Re: Why do posts go off the subject or turn mean?

Well, mean is a relative term and here it usually means that the person didn't agree with what someone posted.  Or someone posted something that wasn't sugary syrupy sweet.   Years ago, posters would whine about feeling "threatened" when they read something they did not like.  I think the best thing to do is skip over posts and threads that you don't like and avoid getting drawn into other people's arguments.  Even if you think you are helping.  And laugh it off when someone singles you out by name with something nasty or mean sprited.  Just don't take the bait.  I think the vast majority of posts are what you are looking for.  Fun, informative, chatty.

Trusted Contributor

Plain and simple, it's because people are people.  You encounter these folks in everyday life, why would it be any different here? 

Honored Contributor

I guess it's just life.  Sometimes even the most simple things can be twisted around!  I have made comments to family members or friends which I thought were very bland and then the next thing you know --- boom --- all heck breaks out.  I'm like --- uh --- what just happened????  I think at times someone might not be having a great day to begin with or perhaps might not be feeling well, and then the smallest thing, causes them to over react or react in a negative way.  But then again, there are some people who like to get a rise out of others for no apparent reason.  Beats me.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

It has gotten worse.  Most of the contributors are so thoughtful and helpful but more are not.  Love all the info I get and we are so vast and diversafied that it is fun.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, I come here to learn, laugh, and interact with fellow shoppers !!!

Esteemed Contributor

It's kind of like in real life when you are talking to someone about something and they end up turning the whole conversation around and you suddenly realize that you don't even know what you are talking about anymore!...LOL

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

also, if your day isn't so great, you may respond in a more negative way, not to mention you may be more sensitive when you read something, if your day isn't going as planned.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom

The snarky ones who love to instigate arguments have nothing else to think about OR have significant things and can ignore them by concentrating on others’ opinions.

Their ceaseless negativity betrays them over time.  Most of us get accustomed to their written behavior and skip over their posts.

Their anonymity gives them protection from being accountable.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Jlkz I agree with your post. If you look at the comments on a lot of these posts it's usuallly the same handful of people that has a snarky remark no matter what the subject is.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because humans, and not robots, are posting. In the future, it may be cool to have some decent robot friends and coworkers. Halfway kidding. 

Best guess is many people do not start threads because they don't want to defend their post to the discontented. And that's what the mean girls & guys are... discontent. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau