Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why do people wear clothes that are too small for them

It isn't flattering no matter what age you are.....

Super Contributor

There is a weather person on one of our TV stations who always wears her dresses on the tight side. She is so darn cute, and after watching for awhile, I don't even notice how tight her dress is! That's just her!

People should wear whatever THEY are comfortable with. If they love their curves, more power to them!

Trusted Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

Do you think it might just be a vanity issue?  We feel better if we think we wear a smaller size even if we probably should go up a size?

I remember years ago women were really ashamed of larger shoe sizes.  Then Jackie Kennedy let it be known she wore a size 9.  

Thankfully, I don't think women ( now) care so much about that.  I have a friend who is very tall and wears a size 11 shoe.  She spent years squeezing into a size 10 and ended up with major feet issues and ultimately surgery.  I do feel that nowadays people are more likely to be more realistic about sizing.

I read somewhere that she was an 11.  So if she really was an 11 and said she was a 9, then she fibbed about her shoe size just like everyone else fibs about their size.  HMmmm. So, my Mom was a size 5 shoe.  Never could figure out where I came from with my size 9s. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I have an older neighbor who cuts the size tags out of her underwear so when she dies no one will know what size she wore - don't get that at all!

Did she tell you that's why? I cut tags out of everything, simply because I can't abide the feel of tags, period. OTOH, my mother always flaunted the tags of her "name store/designer" clothing when out in public - over a chair, etc. to be sure others knew what clothes her husband could afford to buy her. I was not impressed, even as a teen. Struck me as the quickest way to be branded nouveaux riche tacky.

Yes she did.  I could not believe it.  I agree with you - I do not like to advertise.....

Esteemed Contributor

I am usually a 7-7 1/2 but can wear anywhere from a 6 1/2 to an 8 in shoes.
Esteemed Contributor

I do not know O/P. This never occured to me.

Honored Contributor

@Major Shopper wrote:

There is a weather person on one of our TV stations who always wears her dresses on the tight side. She is so darn cute, and after watching for awhile, I don't even notice how tight her dress is! That's just her!

People should wear whatever THEY are comfortable with. If they love their curves, more power to them!

@Major Shopper      

I disagree ....  it's one thing to "love your curves" .... but NO ONE should have to look at someone whose clothes are so tight that you can see every lump, bump and roll of fat!    That's just gross!   

Respected Contributor

the women that i know or have known that wear their clothes too tight are ones that have gained weight and just not gone out and bought a larger size.  they think they will lose the weight, i guess.

Honored Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

I'm genuinely sorry if I offended anyone.  Y'all are right, it isn't a nice thread and I'm sorry.  It's been a slow afternoon.  No excuse.  Please forgive me.

You have shared here before that you are overweight yourself, so no offense taken. As far as your friend, she may be going up in weight and unable to replace clothing because her size is not readily available.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]