Trusted Contributor

Re: Why do people wear clothes that are too small for them

@Deb1010yetagain

Deb, please don't apologize for your comments.  Absolutely nothing wrong in any way.  Anyone who objects, in my opinion, is a little overly sensitive.

I liked your question, in fact, because I might be a little guilty at times trying to pour myself into smaller pants (especially).  As I posted earlier,  we can  have some vanity issues around sizing. Have a great evening!

Trusted Contributor

Although as I get older I am trying my best not to judge others or fat shame as I am severely disabled and not looking my best anymore........being wheelchair bound I have gained weight that is making me feel ashamed of my body image. I find myself dressing with perhaps too large fitting clothes now to help minimize the extreme pain of RSD that anything touches me sets off a cascade of pain.(well and to hide my body I now don't like) I will admit I have a hard time seeing the "camel toe" some have resulting from improperly fitting jeans and leggings. Additionally it seems the exaggerated baby bump is considered "chic" these days although my husband says he even thinks it is "gross" I just look the other way and think "To each their own" I guess LOL (smiles)

Trusted Contributor

Who knows why people do what they do.  Maybe they don't even realize it.  I lost a lot of weight and yet I still want to buy bigger clothes I still go to the plus size department everything is too big for me but I still think that way. So maybe somebody that's wearing something tight or maybe they feel they are smaller size.  To each his own.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because they have no mirrors in their homes.

Honored Contributor

I'm really only concerned with making sure my own clothes fit. I don't pay that much attention to other people's clothes other than a fleeting notice. I don't know or care why anyone wears what they wear. It is not any of my business & I am not going to judge others.

Esteemed Contributor

I think most of the hosts on QVC wear their clothes at least a size or two too small.  Some of the jackets they squeeze into would make it impossible for them to drive.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

Clothes fitting "close to the body" has been "in style" now for a decade.  Some people can't tell the difference between "close fitting" and "too small/tight."  I've seen news anchors, etc., wear clothes that IMO are way too small for them, they look like they shrunk--with the sleeve length above their wrist (for long sleeves), tops hanging out under the jacket, and the jacket buttoned up making them look squeezed in. But in their defense, that is exactly the way the garment was made to look.  I never liked that look and am glad it is finally going "out". 

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed Jill Martin wears light colored skirts that are so tight the seam is pulled, stretched on the fabric all the way down. This is bad when the  person is supposed to be a professional stylist who has written books. She's tiny, but that doesn't matter. Tight clothing looks equally bad on small, medium or large. 

Tight clothing makes the clothing look cheap, no matter how expensive it is. 

Valued Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

@Deb1010yetagain

Deb, please don't apologize for your comments.  Absolutely nothing wrong in any way.  Anyone who objects, in my opinion, is a little overly sensitive.

I liked your question, in fact, because I might be a little guilty at times trying to pour myself into smaller pants (especially).  As I posted earlier,  we can  have some vanity issues around sizing. Have a great evening!

@Susan in California, thanks!  you made me feel better.

Esteemed Contributor

I have often wondered the same thing.  When I am out and about and see people with their button holes gaping open and pants so tight, and sadly, their stomachs or crack hanging out.  I figure they don't own a mirror.