Respected Contributor

Re: Why do people wear clothes that are too small for them

@Desertdi wrote:

Skin tight is the current fad

And overflowing if you know what i mean.

Valued Contributor

I think one factor at play is that we are all on our best behavior when we get dressed in the morning and look in the mirror.  We're standing up, good posture, etc.  We don't look too bad.  Then later, slouching, sitting - it can be a different story.  I know once or twice I have looked down during the day and thought "Oh no - I am never wearing this again!!!"  I am very uncomforatble in something that is too snug.

Now when people wear the same offending items over and over I think they just have a distorted view of themselves and really think that's how they should dress.  (Think of the tranverse of how anorexics look in the mirror and see a fat person.)

The other factor is some people really, honestly don't care.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Respected Contributor

I'm all about being comfortable, so if I have to buy a size or 2 larger, I don't care. I can't stand feeling constricted.

Honored Contributor

I just don't feel I have the right to criticize others for what they wear or how they look.I like people who have kind hearts and that's the way I see it.I used to make judgements and found myself wrong too many times so I had to quit.

Honored Contributor

I have an older neighbor who cuts the size tags out of her underwear so when she dies no one will know what size she wore - don't get that at all!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have an older neighbor who cuts the size tags out of her underwear so when she dies no one will know what size she wore - don't get that at all!

Did she tell you that's why? I cut tags out of everything, simply because I can't abide the feel of tags, period. OTOH, my mother always flaunted the tags of her "name store/designer" clothing when out in public - over a chair, etc. to be sure others knew what clothes her husband could afford to buy her. I was not impressed, even as a teen. Struck me as the quickest way to be branded nouveaux riche tacky.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I cut all the tags out of my things too because when things are scratchy it can develop into an inflamed sore.  When buying something from qvc, I'm really amazed at the tags they continue to include that have that raised metallic thread that is so offensive.  

Honored Contributor

I like to  buy fitted pants , but larger tops. Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@SHIRAZ wrote:

I think one factor at play is that we are all on our best behavior when we get dressed in the morning and look in the mirror.  We're standing up, good posture, etc.  We don't look too bad.  Then later, slouching, sitting - it can be a different story.  I know once or twice I have looked down during the day and thought "Oh no - I am never wearing this again!!!"  I am very uncomforatble in something that is too snug.

Now when people wear the same offending items over and over I think they just have a distorted view of themselves and really think that's how they should dress.  (Think of the tranverse of how anorexics look in the mirror and see a fat person.)

The other factor is some people really, honestly don't care.

@SHIRAZ

That's a great theory .... but I swear, I see a lot of people who just couldn't possibly have looked in a mirror before leaving home!

Trusted Contributor

I think the REAL question should be >>>>WHY  DO SOME PEOPLE WEAR CLOTHES!!!!!!!!!------tedEbear