Respected Contributor

Re: Why do people wear clothes that are too small for them

@Deb1010yetagain I don't think your thread was bad.  Some or the reactions were extreme.  Sometimes people come here just to chat and visit, and to get the biting responses were overboard.

As far as your question, I think women who dress in clothing too small have a problem dealing with what size they really are.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Valued Contributor

@JaxsMom, @ROMARY thank you for being so gracious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not 'siding' with anyone:  Just thinking 'way back when': Anyone here remember our moms and/or relatives and their friends, many, many years ago, making their feet fit into smaller sized shoes?  In those days, there must have been some type of stigma re: large feet, small delicate feet.  I was young at the time, and it seems as though they were always in so much foot pain. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

We have a thread going about people lying about their size, but what about the ones who wear clothes too small.  I have a friend who is really a 4x or 5x, but insists on squeezing into a 3x.   Sometimes her belly hangs out and it's embarrassing for her.   Why don't people wear the right size?   Do you know anyone  who does this?  Tell us about them.

I wonder if in your friend's case it's hard to find a size 4x or 5x.  I'll bet it's much easier finding 3x's.  I don't really know anyone who wears their clothes too tight.  I don't like the new style of wearing tight fitting clothes.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Do you think it might just be a vanity issue?  We feel better if we think we wear a smaller size even if we probably should go up a size?

I remember years ago women were really ashamed of larger shoe sizes.  Then Jackie Kennedy let it be known she wore a size 9.  

Thankfully, I don't think women ( now) care so much about that.  I have a friend who is very tall and wears a size 11 shoe.  She spent years squeezing into a size 10 and ended up with major feet issues and ultimately surgery.  I do feel that nowadays people are more likely to be more realistic about sizing.

Honored Contributor

Sadly I do know someone who wears a size smaller than what she really needs.   I feel sure this person weighs over 400 lbs.   She chooses to squeeze herself into leggings that leave nothing to the imagination, and short tops that barely cover the waistband on her leggings.   I would never leave my house wearing what she wears in public, and I would not be at all surprised to see her in a people of Wal-Mart picture someday.   

Honored Contributor

Because friends and family are lying to them, they need glasses, they are lying to themselves, they think it's sex(ie).

There are a few people (not very many) who maybe can't afford to buy other clothes.  I doubt there are many people though because if that's the case you can always get them from somewhere.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

The thing I have never gotten used to is 6+ month pregnant women wearing skin tight clothing. I'm just....NO. We don't need to go back to the pregnancy tents of the 50s and 60s, but surely there's a compromise.

@Moonchilde

Amen, sister !!!    This has been a pet peeve of mine for ages!   What's attractive about dressing like a stuffed sausage??     It's not pretty and, personally, I think a pregnant woman should have a little dignity and not dress like a h00ker!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

The thing I have never gotten used to is 6+ month pregnant women wearing skin tight clothing. I'm just....NO. We don't need to go back to the pregnancy tents of the 50s and 60s, but surely there's a compromise.

@Moonchilde

Amen, sister !!!    This has been a pet peeve of mine for ages!   What's attractive about dressing like a stuffed sausage??     It's not pretty and, personally, I think a pregnant woman should have a little dignity and not dress like a h00ker!

Entirely coincidentally I was just browsing a post-Oscar & other awards shows issue of People which included a page of pregnant celebs. The only one who looked really bad, due to dress choice, was predictably a Kar-trashian. The others were neither wearing muumuus nor body stockings, just attractive, glamorous dresses.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

Do you think it might just be a vanity issue?  We feel better if we think we wear a smaller size even if we probably should go up a size?

I remember years ago women were really ashamed of larger shoe sizes.  Then Jackie Kennedy let it be known she wore a size 9.  

Thankfully, I don't think women ( now) care so much about that.  I have a friend who is very tall and wears a size 11 shoe.  She spent years squeezing into a size 10 and ended up with major feet issues and ultimately surgery.  I do feel that nowadays people are more likely to be more realistic about sizing.

My mother wore a size 12 shoe.  She always said, "I really wear a 10, but the 11 feels so good that I go with the 12."