Valued Contributor

Why do people wear clothes that are too small for them

We have a thread going about people lying about their size, but what about the ones who wear clothes too small.  I have a friend who is really a 4x or 5x, but insists on squeezing into a 3x.   Sometimes her belly hangs out and it's embarrassing for her.   Why don't people wear the right size?   Do you know anyone  who does this?  Tell us about them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why do people wear clothes that are too small for them

I honestly don't know any women who do this. Men, that's a different story, but I find that they are the first to admit it. One of my man friends and I were laughing about that just last week. It being all about where they wear the waistband of their pants.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Because they can't afford new clothing in a larger size?

Honored Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

We have a thread going about people lying about their size, but what about the ones who wear clothes too small.  I have a friend who is really a 4x or 5x, but insists on squeezing into a 3x.   Sometimes her belly hangs out and it's embarrassing for her.   Why don't people wear the right size?   Do you know anyone  who does this?  Tell us about them.

Really you started a thread to invite people to talk trash about others? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Don't think I've run across that yet, but I have told my neices that they need to size up because they don't wear their clothes right.  Big mistake ... that's the way everyone wears them!  Okay ... I prefer to hide my muffin roll, but they want to show it in order to get their pants tight enough?  Would work with long tops, but they wear crop tops.

You can't "tell" anyone how to wear their clothes, but you could purchase her an adorable outfit (in the other size) and see if she "feels" better in it.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but ...

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Nobody I know comes to mind.  Occasionally, I may see someone I don't know when I'm out and about.

Honored Contributor

Skin tight is the current fad

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

It's a style preference for some, a belief they will look smaller for others. I have known many women, of all sizes, who wear their clothing too small. It's their genuine perception of what looks good, not only on them but on others. I was taught growing up that one's best look is not accentuating every bump and ripple/roll by tight clothing, but plenty of women look in the mirror and want form-fitting, i.e. close to the body, clothes. They are happiest with their looks that way, and think of those who don't dress like they do as wearing their clothes way too large. They will ever see it that way.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

I do see women in clothing too tight for them. I also see a lot of women that wear clothes too big for them. I have a friend who had a slight weight problem who wore her clothes way too big. It made her look bigger than she was. She told me she wore them too big because she felt she looked more overweight when she wore fitted clothing, like people could see everything. She felt insecure in tighter clothing. Now she wears stuff a little more fitted and it really does make her look so much smaller. The first time she wore a more fitted outfit, she said the whole day she felt so insecure but as people kept commenting on how nice she looked she started to feel better and better. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK