Esteemed Contributor

I happily hop out of DH's way when we're in the kitchen, as he LOVES TO COOK. He is a great cook ~ I think he could open his own restaurant. He doesn't even use recipes, he comes up with his own.

I guess it's because his mother wouldn't cook and they all got TV dinners all those years!

Honored Contributor

Wow! Go you, @gidgetgh, for your weight loss! Congratulations!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have had that reaction as well, assuming that because you don't, you can't - as if everyone who could possibly, would always naturally.

I have never had a hubby and kids to cook for. My mother didn't enjoy cooking so her teaching of me was minimal to none. Yet I have always enjoyed food and did my share of cooking when I was young. I enjoyed trying new recipes, the process of putting it all together, and eating the finished product. And what I made was usually good!

Trouble was, with no one to cook FOR, after awhile you kind of lose the incentive. No, you can't always "just freeze it" (how big do people think apt-sized refrigerators are, anyway?) because some things don't re-heat well and after two meals you just don't want the rest.

Yes, I could "cook" myself a chicken breast or a steak & veggies, but there was no point to cooking entire involved meals and throwing two-thirds of the food away. No, I did not have relatives or neighbors I could share with. 

So, I have not cooked for many years, but I certainly could, and would, if there was anyone to share it with.

Cook I'll be there @Moonchilde

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Why do people think that you CAN'T cook if you say that you DON"T cook?  I don't get it.  I've gotten friendly with a neighbor, we take our walks together now and she's also a big time Qvc shopper.  We chatted a minute ago about the Tsv fairy lights and some menu ideas for Thanksgiving and I said I don't do much cooking for Thanksgiving.  I buy pies from a local bakery or my guests bring dessert.  I order an antepasto platter from a local Italian restaurant and we always get a cooked turkey dinner from a local restaurant or from a holel in the city that does holiday dinners.  She acually said "ohhhhhhhh" with pity in her voice...lol   Like I said I had an incurable disease.....lol    Then she said  "I can teach you to cook".   What would make her think a 50something year old woman with grown children "can't cook"?   What makes her think that cooking is so hard one must be taught?   Isn't that they have recipes and cookbooks?  That's how I learned to cook as newlywed, that and remembering what my mom did in the kitchen.   When I said I can cook, I just choose not to after doing it for 30 years.  It was like she didn't even hear me....lol    She went right on with "I'll help you do your own dinner this year, it won't be hard...lol   I was a little ticked off so I just changed the subject and I hope she forgets and doesn't bring it up again.  I've had that experience before I say I don't cook and someone jumps to the conclusion that I can't cook. 

It's funny...apparently people can't read it either!!!

I think it's amusing too how some folks get riled about folks who just prefer to go out to eat or do the carry out routine.

@Buck-i-Nana

Apparently some people can only be nasty.

@Noel7 - Wow.  Hit a nerve eh?  Sorry you can't see the humor in the truth.

Honored Contributor

Aww, thanks @spix! 😍

Honored Contributor

I once singlehandedly prepared Thanksgiving dinner for 25 people .... and it was a great dinner.    

Now?   Been there, done that.   Now I assemble food onto platters.   I don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Honored Contributor

I'd think all you'd have to say is that you know how to cook, but it's not something you care to do.  However,  I wouldn't even want to host Thanksgiving if I hated cooking.  Your guests might as well go to a restaurant if you aren't going to make any of the food.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do people think....

[ Edited ]

Can't imagine getting so "bent out of shape" over the ladie's comment. I can understand why she might think you can't cook if you said you order out the food for a holiday gathering. I certainly don't think she was being rude or condescending. That is usually the role of Chrystaltree2 I have noticed.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I once singlehandedly prepared Thanksgiving dinner for 25 people .... and it was a great dinner.    

Now?   Been there, done that.   Now I assemble food onto platters.   I don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Precisely. And if someone wouldn't want to come to my house for dinner because I didn't cook it all, they wouldn't be the kind of person I'd want to invite in the first place, or feel bad if they declined - especially around the holidays.

Women who are still working have no time for leisurely prep and a full holiday menu. Many have *one day* off for the meal prep and what they might be able to enjoy of a holiday before they fall into an exhausted coma and have to get up and go to work the next day 😫

Many are older and don't have the health or stamina to prepare a big meal, yet want to host at their home and can afford to pay for excellent prepared food.

But then, it's always a good thing to know who isn't worth inviting - those for whom the hosts and their motivations are worthless.

Respected Contributor

I'd simply tell her, " I appreciate the offer, but after 30 years I could teach you some things!" Smile, change the subject. If it comes back up, smile and say, "you obviously have a great desire to share your passion for cooking! You should really find someone who doesn't know how to cook to share your passion with!" If she doesn't get the hint, avoid future contact with her!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.