Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Moonchilde, I understand that and I said that's how *I* feel.  That's the way *my* family was.  Everyone is free to do what they want, obviously.

And as I said, @Lipstickdiva, I wasn't speaking to you directly or specifically, but rather to those who react as if there is something seriously wrong with those who don't see things that way - and again, you haven't done that. Your post was a springboard for my thoughts, not meant to reflect you individually at all - sorry if you thought that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

To be a really good cook, I think you have to have some training (whether from books, tv, or mom, or preferably all three), be interested in what you are doing and practice a lot.  You need to try out new methods of cooking different products, know how to buy the best ingredients, and how to judge flavor and seasoning levels and, to quote Emeril, take it up a notch.

You can cook, but being a really GOOD or GREAT cook is an entirely different thing.  I have always had a passion for cooking and learning about food in general--comes from my Dad!--and you can't just pick up a book and make food that compares to what I and many like me turn out! It is an art as well as a skill.

Really good cooks are born, not made.  Everyone has certain talents that are inborn.  Cooking is no exception.  The exceptional cook has an instinct for it.

Respected Contributor

Here is what my retort would be.....

Gee. everyone I know who cooks for the holidays always complains and is always so stressed out and exhausted.  I would rather spend the time with my family and friends instead of in the kitchen.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@FrostedC wrote:

Instead of getting upset, I would have been more straight foward.  The older I get, the less I like to cook. 

@FrostedC

@Chrystaltree2

I agree with this.

My mom was (is) a fabulous cook.  She doesn't do as much now.  She says she did it all those years and now she wants to relax! lol

I love to cook, but to be honest I'm not into cooking for big events that much.

She will on occasion, but we mostly like to go out to eat on holidays.  If we do anything at home, it's usually dessert afterwards.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

Smiley Happy I have had people say things like this to me, and I just answer, "oh, no, I'm actually a good/great/awesome cook, I just don't feel like it." That takes care of it for me. 

As for the other person, who knows what she had going on in her head at that moment? She probably couldn't tell you herself. Communicating is a tricky business at the best of times. Just think of the zillions of different memories, beliefs, ideas, interactions, conversations and experiences we've each had in our lives...and our little brains are stuffed with the net result of all tha, and everybody's is different. It's a miracle we ever understand each other at all!

But I keep trying, because it's more often than not worth the effort.

Respected Contributor

I have never done it because it is usually only 5-6 people, but I would have no qualms about ordering out dinner for a holiday meal.  To some it may be more about the gathering than the food.  Maybe you have the biggest house to accommodate everyone, or maybe you are in the central location to everyone - you don't mind hosting, but you sure aren't cooking for 25 people!

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I have never done it because it is usually only 5-6 people, but I would have no qualms about ordering out dinner for a holiday meal.  To some it may be more about the gathering than the food.  Maybe you have the biggest house to accommodate everyone, or maybe you are in the central location to everyone - you don't mind hosting, but you sure aren't cooking for 25 people!

JMO, but it should be *at least* as much about the people and the gathering as it is about the food. I wouldn't care if I was having Banquet frozen turkey pies for dinner if I was enjoying the company of friends & family and all were having a good time. If it's *only* about the food? Stay home.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

It seems odd to jump to the conclusion you can't cook and need someone to show you.  I'd ignore the comment.  If the topic comes up again, shut it down before she offers to train you again.  She may have just been being nice, but it kinda sounds more than that.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Personally, if I did not want to cook I would not invite guests for Thanksgiving dinner - just my thoughts on it. I would never invite company for take out food.

@151949, we have a grocery store called Fresh Market and they make an entire Thanksgiving meal that several friends of mine get each year for Thanksgiving. I have heard nothing but excellent reviews about the entire meal. My friends have even invited several others over as guests and do no cooking at all. Their guests really loved it. They all can cook and did it for years for their families, they just don't want to anymore. I know several other grocery stores in my area doing the entire Thanksgiving meals and have been for years.  Nothing wrong with that at all. The guests were happy to be invited, take out or not and that is the point of Thanksgiving. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Personally, if I did not want to cook I would not invite guests for Thanksgiving dinner - just my thoughts on it. I would never invite company for take out food.

You make it seem like "take out food" is a horrible thing! Take out can be from a gourmet restaurant and can be just as good or better than someone's home cooked meal! It's all about the family and fun times together. 

One of my favorites turkey and ham came from Heavenly Ham one year, all my family had to do was make the sides and WE ALL LOVED IT!

There are no set rules for Thanksgiving, it could be Mexican, Chinese or any other food choice. As for me this year, I'm undecided so I may go out to a nice restaurant and have seafood.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson