Respected Contributor

Well.....to somewhat answer the question. I think many people don't listen real intensely especially during casual conversation, thus their brain don't process what exactly was being spoken and they then make assumptions.

Honored Contributor

I no longer cook but I don't mind cooking for the holidays, except I'm out of practice!   Sounds silly but I used to be like a short order cook, could get everything done at the same time & served like June Cleaver.    Now I need GPS just to get to the kitchen!

I feel the same way about cleaning.  Yes, I know how, I just choose to do it another day!

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Why do people think that you CAN'T cook if you say that you DON"T cook?  I don't get it.  I've gotten friendly with a neighbor, we take our walks together now and she's also a big time Qvc shopper.  We chatted a minute ago about the Tsv fairy lights and some menu ideas for Thanksgiving and I said I don't do much cooking for Thanksgiving.  I buy pies from a local bakery or my guests bring dessert.  I order an antepasto platter from a local Italian restaurant and we always get a cooked turkey dinner from a local restaurant or from a holel in the city that does holiday dinners.  She acually said "ohhhhhhhh" with pity in her voice...lol   Like I said I had an incurable disease.....lol    Then she said  "I can teach you to cook".   What would make her think a 50something year old woman with grown children "can't cook"?   What makes her think that cooking is so hard one must be taught?   Isn't that they have recipes and cookbooks?  That's how I learned to cook as newlywed, that and remembering what my mom did in the kitchen.   When I said I can cook, I just choose not to after doing it for 30 years.  It was like she didn't even hear me....lol    She went right on with "I'll help you do your own dinner this year, it won't be hard...lol   I was a little ticked off so I just changed the subject and I hope she forgets and doesn't bring it up again.  I've had that experience before I say I don't cook and someone jumps to the conclusion that I can't cook. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have always wondered what "skill level" you have to be at to actually say that you CAN cook.  My Mom hated to cook and did as little as possible.  I think I am doing better than her, but just very basic meals,  Is Hamburger Helper cooking?  LOL

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

Re: Why do people think....

[ Edited ]

I think she was attempting to be helpful-

Like many others, I'm done!  Forty years of cooking for my husband is enough...I simply have no desire to stand in a kitchen for days preparing. I enjoy cooking when I have the time....

My sister is trained as a Chef-she doesn't cook either.  She purchases everything prepared at Costco...she says her "sensitive palate" allows her to find the best tasting already prepared homemade food! LOL..

My mom was a really good cook, but she did so little of it we actually called the kitchen, THE LIBRARY- It was the quietest room in the house!

Huh, looks like it could be a inherited thing! 

Honored Contributor

I have no desire to cook anymore either, so I pretty much don't. It was never something that I enjoyed. For me, it was just a means to an end. 

My husband and I eat lunch out probably 6 days a week and that's our main meal. Then just something really light for dinner, more for him than me. 

If I cook at all, it's Sunday at lunch, usually a Hormel pork roast and vegetables to go with it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have always wondered what "skill level" you have to be at to actually say that you CAN cook.  My Mom hated to cook and did as little as possible.  I think I am doing better than her, but just very basic meals,  Is Hamburger Helper cooking?  LOL

My mom was Queen of the Swanson TV Dinner and the occasional burnt and dried out pork chop!

When I first moved out and got my own place I was really good at browning some Corned Beef Hash and my browning skills came in very handy when it was Hamburger Helper nite!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can cook, but I have never enjoyed being in the kitchen.  By the time I handle the food and smell the ingredients, I'm over wanting to eat the finished product.  I find it boring too.

Respected Contributor

i had a neighbor once before i cooked and my ex did everything food related. she sort of insinuated that i would not be able to keep him if i did not cook!   well i did start cooking and ended up doing fabulous meals but we split up but it was because he was a skirt chaser while i was home canning tomatoes and baking bread.   lol.

i cook because i like knowing what is in my food. i have gotten sick twice not long ago from eatinhg out.  tried it but have found take-out around my area is the pits.   there are few really decent restaurants in this area.  no chains except Applebees and i don;'t care for Applebees

i' m hot and cold with cooking . some days i just say no, we are having sandwich night. every man for himself lol.  i do get inspired and then i enjoy creating a meal.  i have to use an electric stove now where i always used gas. that is a pain.

have a new gas grill, getting practice on it. good because it cuts down on cooking aromas in the house.  so hot though!  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I cook just so I can eat.  It's not exactly a passion.

If I could eat out every day I WOULD.

I have many neighbors who don't cook anymore since they retired - they eat out 2 or 3 times a day - and it is showing on them - they are all gaining a lot of weight. Restaurant food tends to be very rich and high in things like butter, cream, sugar & salt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i had a neighbor once before i cooked and my ex did everything food related. she sort of insinuated that i would not be able to keep him if i did not cook!   well i did start cooking and ended up doing fabulous meals but we split up but it was because he was a skirt chaser while i was home canning tomatoes and baking bread.   lol.

i cook because i like knowing what is in my food. i have gotten sick twice not long ago from eatinhg out.  tried it but have found take-out around my area is the pits.   there are few really decent restaurants in this area.  no chains except Applebees and i don;'t care for Applebees

i' m hot and cold with cooking . some days i just say no, we are having sandwich night. every man for himself lol.  i do get inspired and then i enjoy creating a meal.  i have to use an electric stove now where i always used gas. that is a pain.

have a new gas grill, getting practice on it. good because it cuts down on cooking aromas in the house.  so hot though!  

Yeah, I got that same spiel from a neighbor, too, about the old "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach".

Yeah, right.

He'll be more than happy to eat the nice meatloaf and mashed potatoes  but he goes somewhere else for dessert.

haha