Respected Contributor

Why do people make life harder than it already is?

Read a heartbreaking article in this morning's Washington Post written by a woman with a severe stutter (she has tried everything and it is no better).

She describes an incident where she needed to withdraw money from the bank and the ATM was down and she went through the drive through and because she was unable to say her name after many attempts, they asked her to come inside.  Instead, she drove off, stopped and cried.

Now I totally get that all of us need to be more understanding - and patient.  And I hate that this happened to her.

However, why not just go through the drive through - or inside - and hand them a note saying you have laryingitis and cannot speak and - this is who I am (ID) and this is what I want to do?  I know that's "letting them off the hook" in the compassion department, but it's also getting you what you need with a minimum of heartache.

Sometimes it just seems to me that we can be so intent on insisting other people change, that we fail to see what can sometimes be simple work arounds.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do people make life harder than it already is?

Poor girl.  She probably didn't think of it.  Sometimes you are so frustrated and anxious, the best part of your brain goes.  

Having said that, it astounds me the lack of common sense some people have with just normal activities.  I know we all have our moments but keep it simple stupid needs to make a roaring comeback.      

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She wants to be a victim. Seems to be the thing to do these days.

Edited - How would I know this? I don't know this person from Eve. My apologies.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel for her mainly because I did stutter badly ( I just posted about it).  I do feel she was unfairly treated and my heart goes out to her.  I also see the bank as protecting her assets and keeping her safe. They wanted to be sure. In this day and age we seem to be victims of others peoples greed and schemes.

Honored Contributor

1) She had a bad day/was in pain, etc and this was simply the final straw.

OR

2) She needs to grow a pair and deal with Life. It ain't fair and owes you nothing so acting like a 5 year old shows her maturity level isn't where it needs to be.

Valued Contributor

She wants to be a victim? We don’t know her. I have only compassion. We all know someone with a handicap or issue, and we know people handle their issues differently. 

I know a stutterer and you can’t imagine what he goes through, even though he can laugh at himself and doesn’t feel sorry for himself. I have a young family member with a sight issue. No self-pity there, but there are moments. 

We all need to have more compassion and empathy, and never take for granted what we have. Or don’t have. 

Respected Contributor

Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, don't judge them.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I really do feel for her and again, I am very sorry she feels she was put in a humiliating situation (due to the downed ATM) and then  treated badly.

And I'm sure there are many situations where a note would not work well.

I just think that as many times as she must have experienced situations like this, she could make it so much easier for herself.

Honored Contributor

How is asking her to come inside treating her badly?

I rarely go to the drive in myself but sitting at the ATM I've heard people ask complicated questions at the drive through and they've been asked to come inside.

I feel so sorry for her, she needs better coping skills.

Honored Contributor

Many of us have some form of handicaps that force us to do things differently than most other people.

if a person stutters so badly, why would they go to a drive up window of any kind?  Common sense should have told her that she must go inside.  Sometimes it’s impossible to understand each other when there are no speech problems present at the drive through.