Respected Contributor

Why do I have people posting on my facebook....

I started a facebook page with fake name so I could look up things at the marketplace etc. and no one would post on my page.  However I have posts from Lisa Robertson telling me she is in some city or having relatives visit, Mary Beth Roe sending me a picture of fathers day restaurant visit.  I could care less who visits these people or where they eat or anything else about them......How do I get rid of them.  I have no friends list or I would unfriend them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do I have people posting on my facebook....

Yeah, I hate that. I don't have a page or nothing like that just log in to see Gary Goben's and David Venable's recent posts. I find FB to be hard to use.

I delete all these people who want to friend me, but, 50 more climb on board later in about an hr.

Can't figure out how to post in there either it'll say "write your comment", ok, I do, and hit enter/or send it doesn't move . You have to add one of their emoticons to get to the 'post' option.

Too complicated for my old brain

Esteemed Contributor

If you liked their pages, they will show up in your feed.  Unlike them and they should stop.

From what I understand, FB is rather invasive.  Since you post at QVC, it must have picked up that you like QVC, so it's putting QVC related content in your feed.  You could go to Lisa Robertson's page and block it then go to Mary Beth's page and block it, etc., for each that shows up.

Eventually, you'll get friend recommendations from everyone who has a FB that you've texted or emailed or happens to have some sort of connection to people you know.  Just click "remove" when you see those friend recommendations.  Those will stop but others will show up.  It's the nature of the beast, and I think you just have to keep removing or blocking individual accounts.

Honored Contributor

One of the reasons no longer on Facebook. 

Respected Contributor

I had a hard time figuring out facebook so I put my facebook account into “hibernation” a year ago to see if I would miss it and I don’t miss it at all.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I started a facebook page with fake name so I could look up things at the marketplace etc. and no one would post on my page.  However I have posts from Lisa Robertson telling me she is in some city or having relatives visit, Mary Beth Roe sending me a picture of fathers day restaurant visit.  I could care less who visits these people or where they eat or anything else about them......How do I get rid of them.  I have no friends list or I would unfriend them.

@chiclet .  I do check Lisa Robertson’s FB every once in awhile. Just the other day I started to get all her posts on my FB. I think On her posts there was an option to unfollow. I clicked that and now she’s gone. LoL.

Funny though as I never clicked on follow to follow her!

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet 

I'm probably one of the few living beings that does not post on Facebook.

Many years back, I started a page for our small B&B.   Mostly because our association told us it was the thing to do.

Yikes!  Before I knew it, the page was littered with things I had no interest in.

Since I found it difficult to figure out, I just deleted the account never to return.

I guess there is a way to prevent all of that, but I decided it was just all too invasive.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet     On facebook for example, Lisa Robertson's posting, there are three dots on the right hand side (...), click on the dots, it will say Unfollow Lisa Roberston, click on that and it will remove her post and you will no longer receive any notifications.  Do this on each person who is posting that you do not want.

Esteemed Contributor

I set up a FB account but deleted it a few days later.  I found it too invasive and somewhat creepy in the way it tracks our movements.  

One day I spoke to someone for about 10 minutes on the sidewalk.  During the conversation there was a woman standing about 5 feet away.  I didn't speak to her, didn't  even know her name, but about 30 minutes later FB was recommending her as a friend.  There must have been something in the GPS in our phones that made FB think we should be friends.

When I clicked on an item in the Marketplace, I started getting all sorts of "similar" items showing up in the feed that actually weren't similar.  Those were distracting and annoying but I couldn't get them to quit.  

Then came all the friend recommendations about people I had emailed through work and people from my hometown whom I hadn't seen in years.  I imagine it was recommending me as a potential friend to those people too.

I don't think it's possible to be anonymous on FB given the way they track every move.  

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

educate yourself on how to use the settings to get rid of this stuff.

you might have FAcebook linked to the q somewhere

FWIW . I have had a Fbook account for years and have had none of this experience .  drill down into settings and uncheck everything