Trusted Contributor

Re: Why do Hosts say GENUINE LEATHER??

""Genuine leather"" does not simply mean ""real leather."" It is a specific grade of leather which is better than bonded but not as good as full grain or top grain.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 KYToby said:

""Genuine leather"" does not simply mean ""real leather."" It is a specific grade of leather which is better than bonded but not as good as full grain or top grain.

Oh OK. So it is lower grade leather. Thanks!
Respected Contributor

I agree it's because they use the French word ""faux"" all the time in an attempt to make it sound better.........just say fake or leather-like fabric.

Frequent Contributor

There's also bonded leather which is leather but not exactly genuine.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 La Vie Est Belle said:

There's also bonded leather which is leather but not exactly genuine.

This. A couple of years ago I ordered a fairly expensive ($150+) Etienne Aigner handbag which was described as "leather". It turned out to be paper thin bonded on what felt like a cardboard frame. Just an awful cheap looking mess of a bag. Yes, the term "genuine leather" is clearly meant to confuse the consumer.

Found this online -

Respected Contributor

...to distinguish it from faux leather or vegan leather.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 lulu2 said:
On 1/9/2015 AnnaBella said:
On 1/9/2015 lulu2 said:

Probably because there is a lot of faux leather out there.

but if it were faux... they would say faux.

They should but they do not always. I've seen this pointed out from time to time on the fashion boards. I do not know whether it is intentional or the information was left off the cards the hosts use. They do always seem to emphasize genuine as opposed to faux. (even though many prefer better quality faux to cheap genuine)

The hosts prepare their own cards, so if it is "left off", it's the host who forgot to include it.
Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 CardinalGirl said:
On 1/9/2015 lulu2 said:
On 1/9/2015 AnnaBella said:
On 1/9/2015 lulu2 said:

Probably because there is a lot of faux leather out there.

but if it were faux... they would say faux.

They should but they do not always. I've seen this pointed out from time to time on the fashion boards. I do not know whether it is intentional or the information was left off the cards the hosts use. They do always seem to emphasize genuine as opposed to faux. (even though many prefer better quality faux to cheap genuine)

The hosts prepare their own cards, so if it is "left off", it's the host who forgot to include it.

Are you sure about that? I know they have show writers and planners and I thought the writers did the cards. I always thought the cards were prepared for them but the hosts added their own notes to them.

That's why if you see the cards, things are highlighted and some things are handwritten on them. I've also heard one host more than once state that "they" wrote incorrect information on her card.

Respected Contributor

It's more mellifluous! As in""The surrey with the fringe on top!""
Respected Contributor

I agree about the bonded leather. Years ago ShopNBC (now ShopHQ) sold a footrest that was described as ""leather"". It was not leather but that cheap bonded stuff and started to peel after two years. I complained to SNBC and to my surprise they refunded the cost.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____