Super Contributor

Re: Why do Hosts say GENUINE LEATHER??

Genuine leather isn't redundant. If the hosts are using the term in the correct manner it means leather without the grain - the part of the hide that was used to make the article is a matter of classifying types of leather.

Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Cakers1 said:

Genuine leather isn't redundant. If the hosts are using the term in the correct manner it means leather without the grain - the part of the hide that was used to make the article is a matter of classifying types of leather.

Yes, I stand corrected. All if these years of purchasing handbags, I had no idea of the different classifications of leather. This has been a very informative thread and I learned a lot from it. Now I better understand why leather is offered at different price points. I guess we get what we pay for the majority of times.
Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

Yes, I stand corrected. All if these years of purchasing handbags, I had no idea of the different classifications of leather. This has been a very informative thread and I learned a lot from it. Now I better understand why leather is offered at different price points. I guess we get what we pay for the majority of times.

SR: That's why you see many leather articles stamped "Genuine", like belts and handbags. Not sure I have ever owned a top grain leather item. lol

Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

SR: That's why you see many leather articles stamped "Genuine", like belts and handbags. Not sure I have ever owned a top grain leather item. lol

Cakers, I don't think I have either.
Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Smaug said:

I agree about the bonded leather. Years ago ShopNBC (now ShopHQ) sold a footrest that was described as "leather". It was not leather but that cheap bonded stuff and started to peel after two years. I complained to SNBC and to my surprise they refunded the cost.

I have boots that were sold as leather, the top layer peeled. When I read the description, it didn't say leather uppers, so I assumed the whole boot was leather.

Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 nunya said:
On 1/9/2015 Smaug said:

I agree about the bonded leather. Years ago ShopNBC (now ShopHQ) sold a footrest that was described as "leather". It was not leather but that cheap bonded stuff and started to peel after two years. I complained to SNBC and to my surprise they refunded the cost.

I have boots that were sold as leather, the top layer peeled. When I read the description, it didn't say leather uppers, so I assumed the whole boot was leather.

Were you able to get your money back?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Smaug said:
On 1/9/2015 nunya said:
On 1/9/2015 Smaug said:

Were you able to get your money back?

nope.

Bought a pair of Frye instead Smile

Respected Contributor

Frye, good choice {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 nunya said:
On 1/9/2015 Smaug said:

Doesn't leather upper mean the body of the shoe is leather and not the sole and heel?

Respected Contributor

I thought it meant that only the shaft and the top of the boot was leather, not the toe part.

Maybe I am confused.