Super Contributor

Why do Hosts say GENUINE LEATHER??

If it is leather why can't you say just LEATHER? What does GENUINE add to the equation?? If it were not leather... the host would say faux leather... or pleather.... I always laugh when they say genuine leather...

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do Hosts say GENUINE LEATHER??

Probably because there is a lot of faux leather out there.

I've never heard anyone on air use the term pleather. I always thought it was a negative description.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 lulu2 said:

but if it were faux... they would say faux.

Respected Contributor

I agree with you. Mentioning genuine is really just redundant and an unnecessary adjective to describe leather. I stand corrected thus the edit. Apparently, there are different classifications of leather....I learned something new today. Thank you.
Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 AnnaBella said:
On 1/9/2015 lulu2 said:

They should but they do not always. I've seen this pointed out from time to time on the fashion boards. I do not know whether it is intentional or the information was left off the cards the hosts use. They do always seem to emphasize genuine as opposed to faux. (even though many prefer better quality faux to cheap genuine)

Honored Contributor

Better than saying pleather?

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

Sometimes they use the term "manmade leather" which is not very clear because all leather is manmade, a product derived from an animal. They mean faux leather.
Honored Contributor

When I hear them say "genuine diamonds", I know it's a piece of cwap. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 AnnaBella said:
On 1/9/2015 lulu2 said:

So what's the difference between saying faux leather is faux and genuine leather is genuine? Perhaps because more people are choosing not to wear real leather products they want the buyer to be clear that the item they are selling is in fact a genuine leather product. Some people use the word leather but are talking about man-made materials. It's about product description and clarification.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I don't mind at all if they give more info rather than less. I'd rather them make it clear when something is ""real gold"" rather than plated or gold tone. I want to know what's a meat product hotdog and what's a veggie one. ""Genuine leather""? It's just not an issue for me.