Super Contributor

Re: Why did Speaker Boehner resign?

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

Mr. Boehner has been in Congress for 25 years and I think he's decided it's time to "hang it up."  Politics is a difficult profession at best (for various reasons) and when you couple that with ongoing conflicts within your own party, well, that's got to be problematic and stressful over time. 

I wish him the best as he departs and hope he finds happiness and fulfillment in his senior years (he's 65) in spending time with his family and  friends in Ohio and elsewhere.  God speed, Mr. Boehner, and thank you for your exemplary service.

I doubt it just "came out of the blue."  I'd rather think he's been considering retirement for some time.

The far right "wild bunch" of his party was going to hold a vote to have him replaced as Speaker. He said that he didn't want to put his colleagues through that vote.

Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie, he was thinking about hanging it up last year apparently.

Good wishes for him.

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

Mr. Boehner has been in Congress for 25 years and I think he's decided it's time to "hang it up."  Politics is a difficult profession at best (for various reasons) and when you couple that with ongoing conflicts within your own party, well, that's got to be problematic and stressful over time. 

I wish him the best as he departs and hope he finds happiness and fulfillment in his senior years (he's 65) in spending time with his family and  friends in Ohio and elsewhere.  God speed, Mr. Boehner, and thank you for your exemplary service.

I doubt it just "came out of the blue."  I'd rather think he's been considering retirement for some time.

The far right "wild bunch" of his party was going to hold a vote to have him replaced as Speaker. He said that he didn't want to put his colleagues through that vote.

Well, if that is the case, it is a wise, thoughtful decision on his part.  I did not hear his news conference.  Did he mention this in his speech?

BTW, I think others of retirement age should follow his lead ... If only they would. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

The defunding of Planned Parenthood was the big issue ... he was hesitant ... wanted "more proof" concerning this fiasco.   Congressmen with a backbone wanted him out.  Glad he's resigning!

Valued Contributor

Sorry posters - this thread has vered away from current events and has become a little too political/contraversial. Closing it down.

Brittany